Hamachi Git Server?

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'm curious on how I can set up a Git Server with Hamachi. I'd usually just pay for hosting to do this, but I don't want people to have access to my source code, and I'd like to host it from a local location (a weak computer from like '98 or something).

I'm thinking of starting a few closed source projects me and my friends can work on.
What's the purpose? I guarantee you can find a free private git host if you look.
Bitbucket allows private repos but they limit the number of users.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
I can vouch for bitbucket. So far I've maintained roughly 10 closed source repositories without issues with them.
If your server isn't behind a router, you can expose it to the public network using something like No-IP. If it isn't, you can still do it, but you'll have to forward the ports Git uses.
To helios, NoXzema, and nakaru9333:

I thought about those options, but I don't want someone to find my IP and the code to be intercepted.

That's why I want hamachi; I want to be able to put a password on the repo. And if I want more friends to join, I don't mind purchasing premium.
Last edited on
Only the user accounts you allow access will have access.
Yes but I don't want to be screwed over if they terminate my account. They can whenever they feel fit.

I'd also like physical access to the server itself.
I thought about those options, but I don't want someone to find my IP and the code to be intercepted.
Pretty sure Git must have security facilities.
Follow their TOS and there is no reason your account would be closed. I just don't see the sense in running a local git server on old hardware when bitbucket (or any git service) will be using better hardware and have redundancies ensuring your code is avaliable at all times. But it's your call dude.
You're afraid of a middle man attack? Use HTTPS or SSH.
Besides if they terminate(for whatever reason) your account you still have your local repo, the only thing you "lose" is any commits your friends did that you didn't pull, but your friend will have it.
Yea but I won't have physical access.

How do I even get a Git server on hamachi?

ccsdude wrote:
Besides if they terminate(for whatever reason) your account you still have your local repo, the only thing you "lose" is any commits your friends did that you didn't pull, but your friend will have it.
nakaru9333 wrote:
Follow their TOS and there is no reason your account would be closed. I just don't see the sense in running a local git server on old hardware when bitbucket (or any git service) will be using better hardware and have redundancies ensuring your code is avaliable at all times. But it's your call dude.
I'm really paranoid about this. I'd rather have full control over everything.
Hamachi is simply a central server-assisted VPN (for IP resolution and such). You have your Git server listening for connections on x port. When your friends connect to, say, 10.8.0.1:x (the virtual IP address of the server), they'll connect to the server.
You can just host your own git service over ssh. Badabing, you have encrypted git that only your select members can access.
Well I found Visual SVN... how can I make it use hamachi?
Any ideas?
You don't "make [software] use hamachi". Did you read helios' post? All hamachi does is make a virtual LAN address that actually connects across the internet. Learn how to use hamachi first, worry about git/SVN later.

If this seriously concerns you, then nothing will make you happy. There are soooo many reasons why this is just outrageous.

Stop just trying to sound smart and go learn something.
If this seriously concerns you, then nothing will make you happy. There are soooo many reasons why this is just outrageous.

Stop just trying to sound smart and go learn something.
What I was saying was that I want to have a password on the server.

I was referring to the port fowarding thing (I know I said 'options', but that's what I meant). You can just type in the address in a svn client and have instant access.
Pages: 12