BBC

Pages: 123
I am planning on making a game based on doctor who and, if i want to distribute it i will need rights from bbc. so i was wondering if anyone knows how someone would go about getting writes from a large company.

I can't find out how to contact them
I highly doubt the BBC would allow the Dr Who brand to be licensed for anything less than a six figure sum of money and if you can afford it, even some small company called Lego have had problems to get this license from them.
i didn't mean to sell just to distribute
If you're not profiting from it, and it doesn't get excessively popular, they probably won't care. If it's a parody, you're somewhat protected by various laws regarding parodies.
All derivative works technically do require permission from the creator for distribution. In practice, non-commercial works aregenerally implicitly allowed. For example, see fanfiction.
Depends on the company that holds the rights to it. I remember three fan games off the top of my head that were shut down by the companies that held the rights. A zelda fan game, a chrono trigger fan game, and super mario world fan game (though there is some debate on this one).
I have some emails of some BBC executives but would probably get in trouble if I gave them out. I found one on LinkedIn though http://www.linkedin.com/in/tomredin
If you're actually serious about getting rites then it might pay to drop him an email and find out the process.
helios has it right, what you are doing would likely fall under fan fiction which from what I understand is seen as commentary as far as actual copyright laws go. It should be noted that fair use is an American legal concept and fair dealing is actually much more complicated if you can believe it.

What you would need to be cautious about are trademarks and art assets. If you don't have permission from the BBC then you can't use any markings from the show that might suggest that it is a product they made or endorsed, this could include something like the distinctive DW used on the cover art for the DVD's for instance. Other things to be weary of are likenesses of the actors, the sets, the individual plot lines or story arcs and possibly the TARDIS itself.

For the most part companies don't care. I would say take the time to write them an Email.
http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-who-eternity-clock-Playstation-3/dp/B007RE76CW

There have been multiple Dr Who games released. If you go ahead with your idea and distribute copies and the BBC becomes aware of it, you will probably get a 'cease and desist' letter from a lawyer fairly quickly.
wasn't that game made with bbc consent?

it has the logo on it and it is still available
Last edited on
and also i was planning to get their consent. if they said no then i wouldn't distribute it. i might not even make it if they say no
Last edited on
@Lachlan Easton

Wouldn't it be a little rude to contact him through his personal email and then talk about licensing?
wasn't that game made with bbc consent?

it has the logo on it and it is still available

Yeah, they paid BBC to get the license to make the game.
and also i was planning to get their consent. if they said no then i wouldn't distribute it. i might not even make it if they say no

Good policy to have.
ouldn't it be a little rude to contact him through his personal email and then talk about licensing?

Yeah. I would contact BBC directly. Unfortunately, not being a company, I doubt they will bother replying to such an enquiry. I sent a request to make a fan made Mortal Kombat RPG a month before they went under. Got a very politely worded "Hell no!" and I have never received a reply back from WB or NetherRealm on the subject. Ed Boon's advice on Twitter was simply to talk to WB (the proverbial business circle they give hoping you get tired of asking).
so back to my question how would i contact them?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
You will probably find different people hold different rights to do with Doctor Who.

this may help on your quest (I haven't looked further than this)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/doctor_who_fan_fiction
http://www.bbc.co.uk/contact

Though really... this is probably a wasted effort. Even if they give you permission verbally (which they won't), that is not something I would put any stock in.

Best case scenario is they will send you some kind of contract or legal agreement that you'll have to sign -- and I wouldn't recommend signing anything without going over it with a lawyer.

In addition to probably wanting financial compensation, they might also have some rules about things you can/can't put in the game. And/or things you have to put in the game. Etc.

This might not even be due to them being picky... it might be due to them being bound by contracts of their own.

And really... this is why the answer will be "no". To figure all this out would take them time and effort.... they'd actually have to spend money on doing all this. It's easier and simpler to just flat out say "no" to people.

Basically what I'm getting at is that doing this 'legally' is going to involve tons of red tape and simply isn't worth it for an indy game project.

Personally... I'd do one of two things.

1) Forget about contacting the BBC and just make the game without their permission. Though I wouldn't try to sell it if you do this. Odds are they're not going to care about some stupid freeware fan game. In fact, there probably are a bunch in existence already.

2) Don't use Doctor Who. Make the same game with the same ideas... just don't use any copyrighted material.
Last edited on
I agree with Disch, I'd definitely lean towards option 2.
However, in regards to it being rude to contact people via email I don't think it is at all (as long as you don't spam). They have every right to ignore your email but you may be surprised at how many people would be willing to reply to offer advice. Also, contacting an actual person gives you a better chance of getting a reply from a human being rather than an automated response.
for making the game without doctor who is difficult because it requires doctor who.

the game is going to be set during the time war
i assumed that they wouldn't mind if i made it without earning money because it would be free advertising.
free advertising
What if it is bad advertising? Then, people wouldn't want to watch their show.
Pages: 123