Physical location / lines on a map

ne555 wrote:
This content is not available in your country

I think it's ludicrous that the rules you must abide by change depending on your geospatial position. It was practical (though inconsistent) decades ago before the communication revolution, but now it is making less and less sense every day. Even without the communication revolution, it doesn't make much sense to be able to walk a mile down a road and then be able to follow a completely different ruleset.

I don't have any solution to the problem, I'm just pointing out that it's crazy. What are your thoughts?

Note: land ownership is an area of discussion I want to avoid for now, as I still can't make up my mind on it.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Here's a link to the topic where the quote was originally derived from: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/128060/

Personally I believe it's just stupid. I don't think that just because you happen to be at a certain place, you're unable to have access to the same knowledge as others. It's unfair.
Last edited on
I'm actually of the complete opposite of what you guys think it seems. I think it is actually good that different places have different rules. Different people like different things, different people believe in different things, basically people are different and we don't all think a like. Which is why having different rules in different places will always be and is a good thing in most cases (Of course I don't mean certain people shouldn't have certain rights that is a whole different matter but I think you know what I mean.)

Let's take the US for example. If you don't like a certain states laws and rules, well there is a chance that you can move to a state that might not have those same rules and laws, or even a different country.

You don't like your current state's tax rate? Well you can move to a different state which will have a different tax rate.

On a global scale this just gives you even more possibilities. Having different rules gives you more freedom. You can move elsewhere if you don't agree wit the rules. If every where had the same exact rules and laws and you didn't agree with them well your out of luck.

So I think it is a good thing actually it gives me more options. At least that is my opinion on the matter.
Last edited on
That's nonsense for several reasons.
CodeGazer wrote:
Different people like different things, different people believe in different things, basically people are different and we don't all think a like.
What does that have to do with different rules depending on physical location?
CodeGazer wrote:
If you don't like a certain states laws and rules, well there is a chance that you can move to a state that might have [different] rules, or even a different country.
I don't see people moving about to optimize their liked-rules-to-disliked-rules ratio. This also does not explain why different rules in different locations makes any sense.
CodeGazer wrote:
You don't like your current state's tax rate? Well you can move to a different state which will have a different tax rate.
Quick, everyone in the US! Let's all find the state with the lowest tax rate and let's all move there together! There's absolutely no other reason to be in any other state!
CodeGazer wrote:
On a global scale this just gives you even more possibilities. Have different rules gives you more freedom. If every where had the same exact rules and laws and you didn't agree with them well your out of luck.
This isn't about being able to get the most preferable rule set, this is about why there is more than one rule set in the first place.

I'm saying "it's ludicrous", whereas you're saying "I like it". You can like ludicrous things, but what does that have to do with anything?
Last edited on
You obviously missed my point but I guess my opinion isn't welcomed judging from your mocking responses so I will drop out of this thread now.
Last edited on
My point is, your post seemed barely related to the topic.

It's like some starting a topic on good vs bad practices in C++, and then you just say "Well, I like that you can choose to do whatever you want." That's not very relevant to the discussion.
Last edited on
LB wrote:
What are your thoughts?
So you ask for others thoughts and proceed to call them non-sense, brilliant.

And how is it ludicrous different countries/states/territories have different rules/laws?

I personally don't agree with censorship of content on the internet, but it is up to the citizens of those areas to fight it, not me.
naraku9333 wrote:
So you ask for others thoughts and proceed to call them non-sense, brilliant.
"What are your thoughts on good vs bad practices in C++?" "I like that you can choose to do whatever you want." I don't consider this a valid response.
naraku9333 wrote:
And how is it ludicrous different countries/states/territories have different rules/laws?
If I walk over here, I lose my freedom of speech. I walk back, I can speak freely again. This is not ludicrous?
So you expect to have the same freedoms we have in the US anywhere you go? That would be nice, but it's pretty unrealistic.

Freedom of speech is also a pretty recent concept that most places don't have nearly the level we are extremely lucky to have.
It's based on beliefs. For instance, the Colorado laws that allowed public smoking of marijuana is rather revolutionary. Many states still believe that marijuana should not be allowed. Even if it was okay to smoke weed, a state might outlaw it for ethical reasons or because that's what the people of that specific state wants. I don't find this ludicrous at all.

Freedom of speech is a basic human right in the view of the US people. It's different from the view on marijuana which differs from person to person.
@naraku9333: freedom of speech was just an example. Though it does seem pretty weird to 'not have' freedom of speech.

@NoXzema: Apparently it's illegal to commit suicide, so it's no wonder it's also illegal to do other arbitrary things to your body. You're right though, for some people it's just a short walk between legal and illegal.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I personally don't care what you do to yourself unless you're causing yourself to be a danger to society.
> it is up to the citizens of those areas to fight it, not me.
you are a citizen of those areas.
How would you govern this unbounded world?

I think it's perfectly sane to have different rules across borders. They're not just arbitrary lines. They're formed from thousands of years of history.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.