Low Profile Card in a Tower?

closed account (N36fSL3A)
I have a tower, and I'm looking into buying a better graphics card for it. I see low-profile cards for the GPU I'm looking to purchase, but I don't know if it will fit in a normal-sized tower.

Will it fit?
Last edited on
bump
You've failed to provide the only important prerequisites: The dimensions of both the card and the case. Finding those should be trivial enough for you not to have to make a thread I would think (?)
Nevermind, decided not to get a low-profile card. I have an extra Dell Optiplex 745 (mini-tower, also know as a normal-sized desktop) and I'm ready to purchase a GeForce GT 430. Will it fit?

EDIT: Literally just said "yolo" and purchased the card anyway. If it doesn't work I'll just sell it to one of my friends.

I'll post if it worked or not once I receive the card.
Last edited on
As xismn pointed out, we won't have a clue if it will fit. There is no such thing as a "normal-sized" desktop because every company uses different dimensions for the towers and use different internals (like motherboards). You also get into what kind of slots the motherboard has and how many it has. You would have to know the tower dimensions and the graphics card (again as xismn pointed out).

I've bought one for my Compaq Presario thinking it would fit and found out it didn't because the slot I had to use didn't allow enough clearance for it so it hit the top of the case.

So I truly hope that card works cause I know how frustrating it can be to try and get one without knowing the dimensions of both.
Good luck, I hope it works out.
In my experience, it was the CPU fan that was too big for the tower, lol.
Other than that, be aware of the different PCI and PCI-Express slots on your motherboard, and make sure that the slot you choose is compatible, and won't bottleneck your graphic card.

With my last build, I had to make a choice. Either, I bottlebeck my graphic card, because the only open PCIE slot had less pins (or something like that), which would allow me to fit a big heat sink and fan for the CPU - Or, no bottleneck, but I can only use the stock fan.
Last edited on
The card itself is fairly cheap (only like 40 bucks, which is pretty much nothing). I don't really care about losing it.

BHXSpecter wrote:
There is no such thing as a "normal-sized" desktop because every company uses different dimensions for the towers and use different internals (like motherboards).
I wrote:
Dell Optiplex 745 (mini-tower, also know as a normal-sized desktop)
Last edited on
Fredbill wrote:
Dell Optiplex 745 (mini-tower, also know as a normal-sized desktop)

My remark was to that part of it. There is no such thing as a normal-sized desktop because all companies have variants of the towers they sell for each model that have different dimensions which allow different sized cards to be used. Here are the variants of the towers, that could have been bought that are all considered 'normal-sized' for towers( https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf ).
I said that to give a hint to what I was talking about.
The card fits and works perfectly. Thanks for the help.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.