I hate sports and sport culture

Pages: 1234
It's true. I realized this earlier today.

I hate everything about it. Sports are boring to watch, everyone involved is paid way too much, most athletes are assholes, and it corrupts the education system.

There is nothing about any pro or college sport that I find redeemable.
Perhaps what you mean is you hate mainstream sports culture? I mean, it would be harsh to judge say, the badminton culture, curling culture or strongman culture because for example, basketball and football (soccer) players are paid huge amounts of money.

Perhaps you do hate all sports though. I find such a position a difficult one to understand with such a variety of sports out there, but accept that it may be true for some.

closed account (N36fSL3A)
Have you ever even *played* a sport before?
well, for me sports are definitely boring to watch (in TV for example), but doing them myself is part of my life and i couldn't live without it :-)
Last edited on

Not really relevant with the arguments given. Unless OP is saying they hate playing every sport as well.

and it corrupts the education system.

+1. I am always complaining to people about this, it makes no sense at all. "Oh you can kick a football around? Well please get into our educational establishment for free then earn 5 times as much as everyone else when you get out"...Not always true but it happens.

I am obviously very bias though, seeing as I am completely on the opposite side of that kind of culture.
I'm with Disch. I especially can't stand how they spend billions of dollars on new sports stadiums instead of on things that need the money more. The way people treat sports is sickening.
Sport culture in the US is ridiculous. And come Olympics time, I can't stand the number of editorials saying "with funding they can win more medals". One sport I really like though is F1. It's really cool to see the racers go around the world and to see which technologies make it and what changes to the cars have what impacts.
F1 has gone in a cool direction with pushing tech like KERS. Advances made in areas like that in F1 could be beneficial to the everyday motorist.

Plus yeah, the tech is awesome and those cars are just ridiculously fast.
There is nothing about any pro or college sport that I find redeemable.
hey now... im working hard for that chess scholarship
I am exactly like you, Disch. I hate sports. I played football up until last year until I realized it was just slowing me down. I wasn't... flourishing. Since then, I have learned 2 programming languages, what I couldn't have done without quitting. I agree, if you are good at it, stick with it. You may-MAY- be one of the few that get lucky. But if you are bad at it... Why continue it? You are just wasting your time, when you could be preparing for a REAL future. And, up until age... I would say 12, it is cool. It keeps young kids active. After that, leave it to the kids who are actually good enough to make a living out of it. There are WAY to many people in my school (actually, I am the only one I can think of that is already working on a career that isn't SPORTS) that think they are going right to the pros. Well... They are not. Sure, they could get a college scholarship and have football being the ONLY thing they know, but, BAM, now your knee is shot out from a bad play, the college notices you are useless to them now, and kick you out. You then have to pay full fee for college because your education sucked.

And, you guys are right. America is WAY too fixed on sports. The Dallas Cowboys have like, a billion dollar stadium. Why not a 15 million dollar stadium, and 985 million to something that needs it, like, I don't know, our bankrupt government or charity? As you can tell by the length of my post, an explosion of this has been waiting to go off on a forum for a while.

EDIT: And I am talking about the sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc. @Little Bobby Tables, you should be proud that you are smart enough to get a scholarship for chess. I only wish I was that good at that game...
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
James2250 wrote:
Not really relevant with the arguments given. Unless OP is saying they hate playing every sport as well.
Well it actually is very relevant considering that he said that he doesn't like watching sports. If he knew the rush you get when there's a few seconds less in the game and your team is has to score quickly or lose, then he'd love sports.

Personally I don't watching sports at all, but I do like playing them.
Last edited on
I don't hate watching sports if it's once in a while, but I'm not a big fan. What I hate is the behavior of some people. I live in a country where soccer is almost a religion, I can't believe people start fights because of that.
Fredbill, the fuck? :s

@Little Bobby Tables, you should be proud that you are smart enough to get a scholarship for chess. I only wish I was that good at that game...

Perhaps you will be glad to know that study upon study finds that supreme intelligence is not only not required to be an excellent chess player, but is actually generally not found in better performing players. However, the bad news is... It's basically all about practice hours, and long ones at that. =/
Perhaps you will be glad to know that study upon study finds that supreme intelligence is not only not required to be an excellent chess player, but is actually generally not found in better performing players. However, the bad news is... It's basically all about practice hours, and long ones at that. =/
i am glad to know :} i feel smart now
Well it actually is very relevant considering that he said that he doesn't like watching sports.
It's actually not relevant at all, since the enjoyments of doing sports and of watching sports are unrelated, and OP is talking about the culture etc. surrounding sports as entertainment.
Well, I am pretty intelligent (lowest grade is a 96), but at Chess I guess I worded wrong. I am way to impatient to take my time to think up a good move. I will just plan 3 moves ahead and go ahead with them no matter what happens, just to speed things up.

And more to my side against sports... I don't think they are complete nonsense, more... overemphasized. My old football coach would make us run a mile... for missing ONE tackle at practice. What the fuck am I going to learn from that other than, "Wow, this coach is a real asshole" That, and the assistant coach would literally PUNCH me in the chest for not getting a blitz - THAT HE CALLED - when the offensive line were DOUBLE stacked. How am I supposed to get through TWO sets of 230 pound, older kids?
Well, I am pretty intelligent (lowest grade is a 96)
well i dont want to put you down, because im sure you are a smart guy (im not saying you arent), but grades arent a great test of intelligence imo, since there are many holes with it
I know, I just don't really don't know how to say I am smart without listing all of the advanced skills I know. I sometimes forget I am talking to people with common sense on this site and not the simpleminded people in my school. Someone asked me to justify how I am smart, and I blew his mind with a bunch of nuclear physics mumbo-jumbo and he responded with, "Oh yeah? Well I have a 98 in this class!" And then walked away as if he was Einstein.

And that is another thing you mentioned, about grades not being a great test of intelligence. I have been trying to tell people that. Grades just mean you pay attention in class and be a teacher's pet (you may try to dispute that, but there is a kid who doesn't turn in any of his work, but yet kisses the teacher's butt. He has a 95.) That, and I think I remember seeing on the news that scientists have come up with a theory that intelligence is genetics related too.
Mats wrote:
Perhaps what you mean is you hate mainstream sports culture?

Yes. That is what I mean. I have not been exposed to the curling subculture so I can't say whether or not I mind it. =P

Fredbill wrote:

Yes. And I definitely see the appeal to playing sports. Just as I see the appeal to doing anything interactive. As many have mentioned, this is not what I was talking about.

Mats wrote:
Perhaps you will be glad to know that study upon study finds that supreme intelligence is not only not required to be an excellent chess player, but is actually generally not found in better performing players.

Chess is a game. Like any game worth playing, it involves a level of strategy. Having a good strategy at chess doesn't make you smarter.... and being smart doesn't instantly give you a good sense of chess strategy.

However, being intelligent may make it so you are able to learn and develop chess strategies more quickly.

But measuring intelligence is impossible. I'm dubious of any study or claim that tries to link X with intelligence because I have yet to see an adequate demonstration of how intelligence can be measured.

AceDawg45 wrote:
That, and the assistant coach would literally PUNCH me in the chest for not getting a blitz

Tell/warn him never to do that again.

If/when he does, file assault charges. Or hit him back.

I'm not even joking.

Fuck people that use violence and/or fear as a motivating factor. They belong in jail, not in positions of authority. This is the thing I hate the most about sports culture.
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Disch wrote:
Fuck people that use violence and/or fear as a motivating factor. They belong in jail the ground, not in positions of authority.

Fixed that for you. Seriously though...the only real sport is alligator and/or bear wrestling.
Pages: 1234