3DBuzz

Has anybody ever bought a membership or dvd or streaming videos from this website? If so is it worth it? I've been watching the free videos in 2d gaming for intro to c++ and its helped a lot but is it worth the money to keep going or are their better sites out there that are cheaper/better.
closed account (z0My6Up4)
Personally, I would prefer to invest in a good relevant book rather than pay for subscription to a website that streams videos at $35 per month. I think that is very expensive.

At least with a book you can refer back to it when you need to. Plus you can verify that the writers know what they are talking about. If it is game development and C++ that interests you an example of a good book is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SFML-Game-Development-Jan-Haller/dp/1849696845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397499544&sr=8-1&keywords=sfml
Last edited on
I would agree with flint, personally I find learning from videos to be a bad way to learn programming, it might just be me but I don't think they contain anywhere near the amount of material or deep explanations that books do.

Every single video I have watched on the subject only very briefly explains how things work. They touch on a subject for a few seconds then move on. That doesn't mean the people who make the video are bad programmers just that they don't have to time to cover the subjects like a book does.

The only thing I will watch videos on for programming is when they are just talking about the Theory aspects of that subject. For example I just watched a amazing video that goes over the Theory behind networking in games and gave a broad overview of up to date technologies used.

Videos are just a bad medium to teach programming in my opinion because they never have the time to go deeply into the subject. This might change in the future but as of right now I would say go for a good book every month for that $35 dollars then paying for that subscription.
Yeah the videos I have watched so far go breifly over stuff enough for me to grasp ahold of the co cept but noy fully understand it. Im actually taking a c++ class this fall will probably wait to see what kind of book the professor wants us to use
Personally, I like videos because they are basically lectures without being able to ask questions. It's easy enough to just look up what you don't understand though most of the time. That being said, I would agree with the others about paying a subscription for them. A better alternative would be to look though something like this: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=engineering&subcat=computerscience
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.