Distributing a Finished C++ Programe!

So I've learned quite a bit of C++ and still continuing to do so!

I hope to get into 2D Game Development and design some simple games!
But if i do happen to finish any project how do i distribute them

So these are my questions!
________________________________________________________________________________
1. Do I need a license
2. WHY do i need one
5.(sorry num 5 is here xD) What is a license
3. If I have a website to put my projects on will i be able to do so and what what licences
4. Can I make money with any project
________________________________________________________________________________

I would normally pm questions instead
but i realized it was selfish as other people might/will have the same curiosity

I will be grateful for any help

THANK YOU C++ COMMUNITY
I hope to get into 2D Game Development

look into sfml, sdl, qt, and opengl. there are others but i cant remember them off the top of my head.

1) i dont know. ive seen debates on this.
2) so people dont steal your source, copy right it, and claim it as their own
3) yes i was actually going to recommend it. what i would do is make a website so people can see what you can write and then host the actual source on github.
4) not the best person to answer
1. Do I need a license

You should definitely give your project a license.

2. WHY do i need one

For many reasons, from everything to protecting your own creation, to allowing others to use it.

5.(sorry num 5 is here xD) What is a license

A small amount of legal text that tells people what can and cannot be done with the code/program.

3. If I have a website to put my projects on will i be able to do so and what what licences

What license you need depends on what you want your project to be? Do you want it to be free or commercial? Do you want others to be able to freely use, edit and distribute the source code? Do you want others to not be able to use your code?

4. Can I make money with any project

Can you make money - Yes. How can you make money? - Long question, difficult answer. I assume from your post that you are reasonably young? In this case, the best thing you can do for now is just get good at programming, maths and game design and creation.
Can I make money with any project
You should check your local laws. You do not want to get in trouble for tax evasion, do you?

Also you should definetly check licenses of parts you are using. Module with LGPL license will narrow range of possible licenses you can use.

For small projects I do not actually value I like to use WTFPL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTFPL
All code I post on this website is protected under this license :)
Last edited on
Thx last question do i need a new compiler to programme in C++11

necuase im using mingw the one that came with code blocks

and thank you met and yes i am young
I use MingGW GCC compiler with C::B and it supports C++11. You might need to turn on C++11 support in compiler options and/or update your instalation.
the latest release does indeed support c++11. you just have to click the box under compiler options marked -std=c++11. some other compilers are gcc (the gnu c compiler toolchain (mingw is the windows version)), clang, and vc++, all of which support c++11. apparently vc++ supports variable length arrays, which is a c++14 feature, but dont quote me on that, because ive never tried it nor do i use vc++
vc++ supports variable length arrays
GCC too. It is C99 feature which I extremely dislike.
hmmm... good to know. like i said ive never tried it. i usually use an stl container and only use arrays when the values wont be changing. for example:
int guaranteed_lotto_winning_numbers[] = {4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42};
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
1) The overwhelming bandwagon effect is to plaster a mile long wall of legal jargon at the top of every file in a project. (USA) What these people don't tell you is that failing to do so gives you an automatic implicit copyright. However even with a license, once your source is distributed there is really nothing stopping anyone from taking it, refactoring a few tokens and redistributing it as their own. It routinely happens in the open source world.

2) A false feeling of protection, to put it bluntly.

3) Sure.

4) Possibly, good luck!

5) Difficult to answer briefly. Wikipedia would be your best bet.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.