steam wont work on ubuntu, help!

just built a gaming pc. I have installed ubuntu 12.04, and i have installed steam for linux. When i press play on a game it says 'app is already running' i then try to close it but it always freezes at that point, not sure what to do. Also ubuntu seems to freeze a lot on firefox and becoming unresponsive. Thanks in advance.
Why Ubuntu? It has many drawbacks when it comes to freedom and privacy, and I assume you are using Linux because of these things(because otherwise, you'd probably want Windows - it has more games).

Anyway, I switched from Ubuntu(which I could stand for one hour - it was too slow for me) to CrunchBang. Happy user ever since, but had to upgrade few things to fit me.

Anyway, I would recommend you Debian Jessie, or some Jessie based distro. You may eventually grab other Debian (based) distro, like CrunchBang(which besides nice logo #!, has excellent community), but then you will probably want to upgrade to newer version of Debian, and depending on your familiarity with GNU/Linux, it may take a while, and be tough.

Back to the topic - It would be the best if you went to either Ubuntu forum, or Ubuntu's page on stack overflow - but look for answers by yourself first. You may want to check if you have :i386 libraries installed, because that's required. Also, check if the game you're trying to play isn't badly ported - it happens sometimes. One of my games(Duke Nukem) had some library problems and I had to fix it, and the other was bugged by itself and I had to wait for fix(but it was only few days, so I don't mind).
Anyway, I'd recommend going to Ubuntu's community sites.

Good luck!
It has many drawbacks when it comes to freedom and privacy,
source?

also, instead of ubuntu i recommend linux mint. its ubuntu, except they fix a lot of the problems (for example its more light-weight). also, it comes with the cinnamon desktop and it isnt too hard to install MATE, unity, gnome, or xfce
i usually take richard stallmans opinions with a grain of salt. facebook is doing almost the same thing as his problem with it in the video. its just sending you relevant ads
Why don't u just dual boot ubuntu and windows ?
im dualbooting windows 7 and mint and it works great. however, you want to install windows first so it doesnt replace the bootloader. if you do install windows second for whatever reason (like i accidently did) use these pages:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.