• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What is your stance on AV companies havi

What is your stance on AV companies having access to all your information?

I just noticed that in the EULA for my AV software, it basically says that they can collect almost any information from your computer and do basically anything they want with it.

Is this something you should care about? Any reason not to trust an AV company?
Could you provide a snippet? Personally in regards to government spying, NSA
etc. I really don't care. My information is nothing special and I have nothing to hide.

As long as the AV software doesn't peer into sensitive informaton like credit card numbers, SS, then I don't care about that either.
Last edited on
@ Cody0023: not to derail the thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

htirwin wrote:
Is this something you should care about? Any reason not to trust an AV company?

If your interpretation of the EULA is correct, and it says that the AV can collect almost any information and transmit it over the Internet (without asking you), then why even bother asking the question if the AV company is trustworthy?

It boils down to: does the protection offered by the AV outweigh the risk of your sensitive files being distributed over the Internet? (In my mind it does not, but perhaps you differ.)

Consider using a virus scanner kit or antivirus LiveCD instead of resident antivirus.
http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/
https://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en
Last edited on
closed account (13bSLyTq)
Well, I really don't care if Government peer into my information. Besides, I'm sure they are trying to help us be safe rather than hurt us so I'm happy with government.
Next, even if you are a hacker or have illegal films or games. Government will not care unless you are attempting to breach the national grid servers or something hardcore like that.

FBI, CIA, NSA, MI6, GCHQ have much more important things to do that track small-time hackers or pirates. In fact NSA, MI6 even with all that access that Edward Snowden leaked out such as Facebook, Microsoft, Google and what not being monitored and covered they sure did not even care too much about Silk Road being run by a member of public. If they really wanted to nab the creator of Silk Road that much they could have traced him down extremely easily using all this data they collected, yet they did not give too much attention to them until last few years and even so they did not use this PRISM information they collected.

This shows they don't really care for even such illicit activities so I'm 100% sure they wouldn't care for anything illegal we do such as Piracy, Hacking, Game Cheating.

Next, I'm 2000% sure that someone other than you has much more secrets to hide yet they have AV installed so really AVs are not that bad as Catfish66 said, its AV protection outweighs the risk of privacy being breached and even unlikely event of sensitive files being distributed over the Internet, as AVs don't risk getting bad reputation in the competitive industry.
My only concern is about the idea that they could steal your intellectual property (source code / idea / design).

Maybe it would be a little bit narcissistic to think I have any intellectual property worth stealing, and paranoid to think anyone would want to steal it, but I just don't like the idea.

Someone argued that they would not risk their reputation to steal your source code or idea, but wouldn't it be almost impossible to prove that it even happened?
Last edited on
I don't use AV anymore.
Governments don't care about software pirates because copy write infringement is a tort. It's the responsibility of the Copy-Write holder to come after you. Does anyone remember the big hullabaloo last year about them trying to change that?

EDIT: Back to the original question though, I'm with Catfish666, it should be cost vs benefit and for me it does not justify the downtime they cause or this either. I have not had an AV suite on my PC for several years now and I rarely get any infections.
Last edited on
Just to reiterate, I don't care about their ability to try and catch criminals, I care about their ability to be the criminals and get away with it, (or maybe even do what should be criminal but since you agreed to it is not .
There are certain contracts that even though they are signed, they are overturned in court for being too ridiculous or too vague. This sounds like one of those cases.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.