Linux and virtual machines

Pages: 12
i am about to use Linux for the first time but i want to use windows applications on it
What are the best free virtual machines available to allow to use mac and windows programs?
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
There is wine, that will let you install Windows applications(Not all). I recommend Ubuntu for a new Linux user(Thats what I started of) or mint. You can easly install stuff from their Package stores. And there are Linux builds for some windows applications (Code::Blocks, FileZilla..etc)
i have prepared bootable pen drive with latest Xubuntu?
And there are Linux builds for some windows applications (Code::Blocks, FileZilla..etc)
thats not correct. there are linux builds of cross platform source code.
there are linux windows builds of cross platform source code.

For some reason most crossplatform projects were Linux applications in the beginnig or had Linux as primary platform.
Most of windows applications have an open-source equivalent on Linux
Or is available in linux

What applications are you planning to use ?

to install wine, type : sudo apt-get install wine in terminal
Last edited on
yes, but thats not what we were talking about. also, i wouldn't do that nvrmnd. instead do this and scroll to the bottom: http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu
This is the last time I am using windows
Next time I come to this forum i come with latest Xubun...linux
hope I am making a better choice over my vista
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Ubuntu is weak; your best option is Mint.
http://www.linuxmint.com/

It's compatible with Ubuntu, but it's overall a better distro imo.
Last edited on
hope I am making a better choice over my vista
Everything is better than vista. All vista does is crash.
Vista was fixed.

In any case due to the lack of support for Vista your best option would be to avoid it and just upgrade to 7.
Fredbill wrote:
Ubuntu is weak; your best option is Mint.

Can't make absolute statements, than back them up with 'imo'. Just shows that you know nothing about either one.
Well I am running Ubuntu right now, and I was running Mint previously on my PC (about to switch back).
closed account (z0My6Up4)
Debian is just as easy to install as Ubuntu. It has a great package management system that makes it easy to install packages.

well it actually is ubuntu.

Vista was fixed.

"fixed". i am always having issues with it.
Isn't it like a fork or something?
mint? i think so.
I've been running Crunchbang (#!) Linux (basically Debian) for a couple of years now on my laptop and have a dual boot on my desktop of #! and Vista. Everyone says Vista is broke and always crash, but for the several years I used it on my desktop (up until six months ago) it had never once crashed on me (and I programmed and played games on it daily up to that point).
No love for OpenSuse? :)
Yes, what about OpenSuse?
I tried to install Ubuntu on my computer, but it failed miserably. I'd guess that some driver doesn't match the hardware. Any chance that OpenSuse is any better in this regard?

I don't want to mess up my current running XP but replace it in the long run

Second question: If I install Linux as a second system, wil I be able to access the data from the parallel existing XP?
Pages: 12