Roguelike RPG Update && Questions

Some of you may remember a while back I asked some questions about what would make for a decent roguelike ( http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/115777/ ).

Well this project finally got started at the end of March!

I had a small but important question about the game - Would it be an idea to release the game with no or a minimal guidebook and to get users to make this? Or should I make a somewhat thorough guide?

Of course, if anyone has any more ideas or requests or whatever feel free to post them. :) (although, rest assured, I'm doing everything possible to get rid of grinding)

Progress update for those interested.

I have the terrain generation sorted, apart from the dungeons, which are coming next (there's lots of play outside of the dungeons). I went with the as random as possible kind of game method so the terrain (including villages), a method some of you suggested you would like in that thread. To a lesser extent, start location is randomized too.
Also, the user interface is kind of all done and your character is all ready to go. The game *just* needs items and monsters and it will be reaching playable status. I'm hoping for an alpha release soon (hopefully May, more realistically, later than May).
I had a small but important question about the game - Would it be an idea to release the game with no or a minimal guidebook and to get users to make this? Or should I make a somewhat thorough guide?

Worry about this when the game is ready for release. It's pointless to think about it now.
As Disch pointed out, that is the last thing to worry about. Even AAA games have learned to not worry about manuals and boxes (box art, etc.) until near the end when the game is nearly 100% done because too many times they made it and had to change or remove something and it would still be on the back of the box or in the manual just because it was done during the development process.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.