Game Engine programmer?

Hi, i have been programming since i was 12 and i'm now 16. I've just recently been looking at job roles to give me an idea of the skills i need 2 learn. I came across a role called engine programmer.

-What is an engine programmer?

-What skills(what i need 2 learn)are required to be a engine programmer?
The game engine is what handles basically every aspect of the game. Physics, resources, animation, AI, network, I/O, etc. It's a big list. A game engine programmer is one who works on this engine. It used to be that most studios created their own in-house engine that they used for their games, though the last ~10 years or so this hasn't been the case. The bigger studios still create engines (Frostbite, Cryengine, Unreal, Havok, Unity,...) and they licence out their engines to other studios to be used.
A better term for this would be a Generalist basically he can work on anything within the engine. They are actually quite rare now days (Though not to be mistaken as outdated or useless) since Game Engine's are huge beasts now and any single aspect of one are huge topics.

What is it? Well it is basically someone that has knowledge in basically all parts of the engine and can jump around and fill roles when needed.

What skills are required? You will need to have a good understanding of all aspects of a game engine. This includes stuff like the rendering engine, resource management, AI, sound, scripting support, GUI support (HUDs, UIs), input devices, networking, tools, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. Basically you should be familiar with all aspects of a Game Engine.

If you want a idea of what makes up a game engine you might wanna grab one of the current middle ware engines that ResidentBiscuit mentioned and see what they offer.

If this is what you want to be that is great they are actually in very high demand in the industry but realize it is a very hard role to fill. You will be asked to jump around a lot and need to be able to fix problems or implement features on multiple aspects of the engine.

Otherwise if a certain aspect of game engines interests you you might want to pursue that aspect and specialize it just that. This is much more common now days again because of the sheer size and complexity of each component of game engines.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.