What happened to that transsexual thread?

Pages: 12
MiiNiPaa wrote:

how can you make age restriction over the internet?

Simply said, you cannot. You can ask for a birth date but it can be faked. You can ask some question but the person can use a search engine to find the answer. You can ask for a credit card number to see whether they are an adult or not but chances are that the user won't give it (suspecting a fraud) or what if the user doesn't have a credit card?

MiiNiPaa wrote:

If you afraid that your child can see somethin inappropriate for them, do not let them use internet.

I agree to that 100%. But do you think children will accept it? I mean if my dad doesn't allow me to use the internet, I don't know how I'll pass time lol.

MiiNiPaa wrote:

Install some whitelisting program

This could work. But whitelisting programs aren't perfect...there still are ways to access blocked sites. In my school there is a software blocking social networking sites and stuff but sometimes, my friends use Facebook there lol.

MiiNiPaa wrote:

actually explain things to them instead of thinking that strangers over the net will parent your child instead of you.

I don't think parents are dumb enough to let their children free thinking that they'll be parented by strangers but I may be wrong.
Last edited on
Depending on state, parents can bring charges of pedophilia upon those (18+) they catch discussing sexual topics with their children that are under 18 years of age (some states say 16 due to age of consent).

The very nature of the internet makes it federal jurisdiction by default so individual nanny state laws are not upheld.

... but it is the parent's interpretation of that talk that you have to worry about.

Sure, if you're running for office in a local election maybe. Otherwise the Safe Harbor provisions in the DMCA protect the site admin from litigation or prosecution due to content posted by forum members. The most he would ever see might be a sternly written letter from his domain register but I doubt anything posted here by our members would even call for that. This site doesn't even allow you to post images (let's keep it that way), so the chances of anything like this happening are non-existent.

Not that any of this matters since, as Albatross has thoughtfully pointed out the site admin is not American. I can appreciate the attempt to error on the side of caution here, but this country isn't the totalitarian state you make it out to be where every paranoid soccer Mom with a minivan is carrying a pitchfork and has a brother who is a congressman. You need to stop short of fear mongering.

closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'm sure most 13-17 year olds see things worse than a talk about being transsexual on the internet (Just going to leave it at that). Parents should really check out their children's internet history (although the children probably delete it) before taking any sort of legal action. If you want your child to live in a cave, that's on you. Don't complain when your child starts to have social issues later in life, it's your fault.
Woah dude! this is turning into a haunted thread here. What happened to the other replies?
The same reason the other one was. Returned tried to hijack this thread into his question.
Computergeek01 wrote:
The very nature of the internet makes it federal jurisdiction by default so individual nanny state laws are not upheld.
Computergeek01 wrote:
Not that any of this matters since, as Albatross has thoughtfully pointed out the site admin is not American.

FBI has offices in every embassy in Europe, EuroAsia, Asia, Africa, South America, and Middle East. If they wanted to go after any non-American users they will.
Computergeek01 wrote:
Otherwise the Safe Harbor provisions in the DMCA protect the site admin from litigation or prosecution due to content posted by forum members.

That is copyright infringement, but we aren't talking about copyright infringement though.

It is common netiquette that when you have minors as part of your community you don't discuss adult-themed topics.

If you still want a legal standing, thanks to several google searches. Talking about sexuality (as it can segway into sex) or sex with a minor is illegal as it falls under "Corruption of a minor" because the discussion can put thoughts in the mind of the minor.
Corruption of minors.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) (i) Except as provided in subparagraph (ii), whoever, being of the age of 18 years and upwards, by any act corrupts or tends to corrupt the morals of any minor less than 18 years of age, or who aids, abets, entices or encourages any such minor in the commission of any crime, or who knowingly assists or encourages such minor in violating his or her parole or any order of court, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(ii) Whoever, being of the age of 18 years and upwards, by any course of conduct in violation of Chapter 31 (relating to sexual offenses) corrupts or tends to corrupt the morals of any minor less than 18 years of age, or who aids, abets, entices or encourages any such minor in the commission of an offense under Chapter 31 commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) Any person who knowingly aids, abets, entices or encourages a minor younger than 18 years of age to commit truancy commits a summary offense. Any person who violates this paragraph within one year of the date of a first conviction under this section commits a misdemeanor of the third degree. A conviction under this paragraph shall not, however, constitute a prohibition under section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms).
Last edited on
I just wanna say that I agree with BHX Specter here. I reported the post as 'Inappropriate for the forum'. Apparently the admin/moderator agreed and had the thread removed.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
transsexual thread

class Female;

class Male : public std::thread
{
    explicit operator Female() const noexcept(noexcept(undergo_operation()));
};

class Female : public std::thread
{
    explicit operator Male() const noexcept(noexcept(undergo_operation()));
}

Was literally the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread topic. I've nothing else to contribute but this mood lightener.

I'm sorry, but this is the lounge.
Last edited on
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
I just wanna say that I agree with BHX Specter here. I reported the post as 'Inappropriate for the forum'. Apparently the admin/moderator agreed and had the thread removed.

He did agree. I reported it too as inappropriate and got a reply back from him.
@BHX Specter
You have completely misunderstood that statute. It has nothing to do with "sexual" corruption, its referring to criminal corruption (getting a minor to commit a criminal act).
It is common netiquette that when you have minors as part of your community you don't discuss adult-themed topics.

That may be true in specific communities. I don't think, however, that I've ever seen this mentioned in an article on netiquette, so I doubt the commonality.

Corruption of minors.

(a) Offense defined.--

That definition applies to a particular locality. In the US, these things are usually implemented at a state level, so it doesn't really have much bearing on what happens on an international forum, unless the person posting happens to reside in that state.

There is nothing to suggest in said definition that it is inclusive of "talking about sexuality."

This armchair lawyering is getting old.

And, btw, a segway is a two-wheeled scooter.
A lawyer pasted that section of the law in reply to a question where a user was just talking about sex and later found out the person they were talking to was a minor. I'm assuming he is referring to this paragraph of the law (but it doesn't say what state he is from):
Whoever, being of the age of 18 years and upwards, by any course of conduct in violation of Chapter 31 (relating to sexual offenses) corrupts or tends to corrupt the morals of any minor less than 18 years of age, or who aids, abets, entices or encourages any such minor in the commission of an offense under Chapter 31 commits a felony of the third degree.
cire wrote:
And, btw, a segway is a two-wheeled scooter.

Auto-correct only gave that as an option when I misspelled my first attempt.
Last edited on
Transsexuality is a gender identity, not a sexual orientation. Even if the "talking about sexuality could put sexual thoughts in the minor's head" argument held any water, it's a strawman.

EDIT: Is there any good reason for us to be arguing about this?

-Albatross
Last edited on
The argument, as I am trying to put forward, is that if you start talking about sexuality it will lead into sexual orientation and discussion (and almost always does as you can't say one without someone suddenly going into talking about what each sexuality's sexual orientation is). You talk about male, female, and transgender and in the end you end up with discussions of sexual preference and as the other thread showed and some comments that were removed from here showed, you get into borderline hate comments or bashing comments.

It's a strawman? The originator of the other thread started it asking if being <sexuality> meant you were <sexual orientation> and then got reported for stating it again here. So it isn't so much talking about it, but when it becomes sexual, it could put thoughts in minor's head.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12