Skype alternatives

closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Hello everyone, I would like to know skype alternatives, ones that are famous. And that do not give away your IP. I really only need chat but sometimes calling is needed. Anyone know? (Linux please)
closed account (13bSLyTq)
I use Pidgin its good and get OTR plugin to remain anonymous and use TOR to reroute IP.
Teamspeak, ventrillo, xfire, raidcall, msn messanger(idk if people still use), aim(again not sure if people still use), yahoo messanger(not sure if people still use this either), and there are probably more chat programs to use. Though I honestly prefer skype as I only chat with friends/family and not arbitrary people and wouldn't really care if anyone had my IP anyways I can change it pretty easy.
Doesn't Google Hangouts provide everything Skype does, for free? And cross platform?
I fully recommend Google Hangouts. I'm not sure how cross-platform it is, as you have to install miniscule software for it to work, but it's definitely much better than Skype.

Not only that, but for more than two people to have video in a skype call, you have to use a paid plan. Google Hangouts does it for free.

Google Hangouts integrates with your android devices and open tabs on Google pages, so you can answer a request to join a hangout anywhere.
Last edited on
Not only that, but for more than two people to have video in a skype call, you have to use a paid plan. Google Hangouts does it for free

Just want to point out, that is no longer entirely true.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2014/04/29/skypes-group-video-calling-service-is-now-free/

(Although I believe it is currently not supported on handheld devices).
Personally I use skype and have never had any problems with it.

msn messanger(idk if people still use)

No longer exists, Microsoft moved it all to skype (I hear china still has access to it though...).
Last edited on
James2250 wrote:
Just want to point out, that is no longer entirely true.
And when's this supposed to be happening? I've been on Skype since that was posted and I don't think it's on yet.

Although I thank the OP for this post because now I'm gonna try Google Hangouts because surely anything is better than Skype at the moment XD

(btw I thought that Teamspeak / Ventrillo / some others, require purchase or rental of a server to run through... Maybe I'm confusing it with other services. Although I can vouch for how good TS is for latency, performance and audio quality)
He never asked for free ones. Anyways you can use someone else's server.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I use TeamSpeak for my MW3 clan and some minecraft servers.

I forgot to specify that it had to be free, sorry.
I`m going to try google hangouts and invite my friends to it.

Thank you all.
@SatsumaBenji I needed an alternative anyway ;)

EDIT:

One question will google hangouts give away IP?
Last edited on

I used Mumble when I played World of Warcraft, latency is very low and audio quality is excellent.
Skype, Fring, ooVoo, WeChat, Google+ Hangouts, Tango

This thread is an eye opener, I've not heard of half of these lol :)

Fring... ooVoo, WeChat.. Tango... not heard of them... but will be checking them out :)

Interesting thread.

I used to use TeamSpeak when I played with some acquaintances in Guild Wars and SecondLife. Not played GW in years now and SL just seems to lost a lot of its appeal over the years. Except Skype, I don't think I've heard of the other ones either. Don't use Google+ as much as I should. Can't recommend any others as the ones I used to know are no longer updated or maintained.
Last edited on
Just started using RaidCall and it seems to work quite well. Does what it should with little latency and is extremely simple to use.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.