Programming Journal

Pages: 12
I'm just curious to know if anyone here keeps a programming journal. I'm thinking about starting to start using one, but I'd just like to know if anyone else does.
What would it include?
Generally a normal spiral or composition notebook that contains notes and visual representations of problems faced in code. It also may contain some concept art.
So I take it that no one jots down programming notes?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
So I take it that no one jots down programming notes?

Source code is about as close as I get to 'keeping' programming notes.

I do have scratch pads to work through ideas but I don't keep them.
^ What Canis Lupus said. I tend to keep any digital design docs. That's about it.
The only journals I keep are personal journals, art journals, writing journals, and game idea journals. I don't have a programming journal. I have to agree with Canis lupus and ResidentBiscuit on this one.
I was implicitly lumping a Game Dev journal together with a programming journal.
I am like BHX Specter and Avilius. I keep a spiral notebook in my desk, where if I get an idea in my head that I can't make now, I write it in there so when I can write the program / game / app / whatever I have the concept and features of it.
I've drawn down some mathematical diagrams to help me work things out but then I just turn it strait into source in whatever project I need it for.
Do you keep your journals or discard them shortly after?
The ideas I think I'll make later I simply make a copy of and then snail mail the hard copy to myself. Otherwise the rest get put in a tote in the garage.
You mail it to yourself seriously? :P

How long does it take for it to arrive at your home.
Avilius wrote:
You mail it to yourself seriously? :P

How long does it take for it to arrive at your home.

Depends, usually two to three days. If I mail it from my house it takes three days, but if I take it to the post office I usually get it back in two days. As for the mailing to myself, it is a technique I picked up in 2006 when I took some writing classes. It is a safeguard for those who can't afford a lawyer, but want to be a novelist. You write the novel, send copies to the publishers trying to sell it and mail the hard copy to yourself. The post office stamps the date on the envelopes during the processing phase. Just keep the unopened envelope as proof of when you wrote it in case someone later says you stole their idea. I apply this rule to both my stories and my game ideas and have been doing it since.
Last edited on
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
Don't mean to be a drag, but just asking.

Wouldn't the envelope be marked with the time stamp and not the letter itself?

Therefore its content is not ensured for proof and could possibly not be the letter of proposal.

Take what I said lightly, I was just carious. =D

As for programming journal?

Nope, possibly during my early years of learning, but they're disposable notes.

As for algorithms, I certainly keep digital backups of important pseudo designs that I've developed.

Heck, I've got scrap paper on my desk right about physics, as of this very instance...

So, I do
jot[...] down programming notes
, but they aren't anything qualifying to be announced as a programming journal. ^^
Last edited on
As long as you don't open the envelope, the date on the envelope is applied to its contents.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
I wouldn't be surprised if there were professionals who exploited time stamps in that fashion.

You could never know, the envelope could have been tampered with. =D

But otherwise, yes, that is a very smart idea; regardless of the what ifs.

Good idea.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Mailing a copy of something to yourself, sometimes called ‘Poor man’s copyright[1], it not really worth the price of postage. There is no evidence to say that the contents have not been swapped, or that you did not seal the envelope years later. It is so easy to cast doubt on such evidence.

...and copyright does not protect 'ideas'.
Pages: 12