Computer Programming Has...

Turned me into a couch potato!!! These past couple years been learning the foundations of c++ and itsss sooo hard to get back into shape!!! Anybody else have this problem...I am 23 and I am sooo lazy!!! I just want to lay on my laptop all day...
Write a program that keeps track of your exercising, that way you have to exercise to use it.

Actually, write a program that keeps track of anything you do besides sitting at your computer.
I've always just stayed in shape. More so after I decided I wanted to program. I know the sedentary lifestyle of tech folks can lead to health problems, so I work out 3 times a week, and run 2-3 times a week. And go on daily walks when the weather is decent.
One reason that I program is to keep my mind active. Ofcourse mind and body go together. I heard that even chess players need to be physically fit if they want to perform well on the board.

I'm reasonably sure that your lack of exercise is more of a lifestyle problem rather than programming itself.
It all comes down to how well you can balance certain aspects in your life and how motivated.
I have two children and a fioncey, I attend college(IT/Programming) and work(Construction). Yet I still manage to attempt my weight lifting three days a week.

Although I do not have an issue with my metabolism being slow, I just feel better about myself when I am in decent shape.

Procrastination is bad.
Just do it.
Last edited on
Just bought myself a weider power tower, arrived today (it's basically a solid in-home pull-up bar). Every time I feel tired or frustrated from programming, I'm gonna pump muscles for distraction >:)
Last edited on
I wouldn't know... I have been practicing C++ for over 2 years now...

My meals consist of an oatmeal breakfast, a vegetable/chicken lunch, and turkey-burger dinner. I also jog 30 minutes a day... I can't stand the thought of becoming obese. I also have a metabolism that's through the roof.

I suppose all you have to do is jog 30 minutes a day, and eat right. You shouldn't eat salads, it doesn't have all the nutrients you need.
Programming made you a couch potato? Programming only does what the programmer tells it to. I'm guessing you had couch potato tendencies way before you started programming. If you are worried about that you can always take Blow's approach and stand while programming.
closed account (z0My6Up4)
Hehehe now all you need - in addition to your big belly - is a pair or horn rimmed glasses, then you will be able to call yourself a real geek!!
Horn rimmed glasses? When did a style of glasses become the qualifier for being a real geek? I would say Dennis Ritchie and Bjarne Stroustrup are real geeks and they don't wear horn rimmed glasses.

Now, when I was in school, if you had glasses period you were considered a geek (even if you didn't know what a computer was).
closed account (z0My6Up4)
@BHX come on... you never heard of the horn rimmed glasses qualifier for being a geek? Where have you been brother?
When I was growing up having glasses period made you a geek. My father-in-law and wife's grandparents said it was the same for them. Ever since the late 90s horn rimmed glasses have been popular among fashion fanatics which have made them popular now. Never heard of a certain style of glasses making you a geek. I have always preferred wireframes.
My personal solution: cycling to work.

Pros:
* Faster than any other mode of transportation other than motorcycles.
* No need to make room into your schedule for separate workout session = more time in front of the computer!
* Improves your mood.
* More toys to tinker with. Learn how to fix problems yourself.

Cons:
* Impractical beyond certain distances. Newbies may run out of stamina at ~15 km, and cars may be faster at those distances.
* May be more or less dangerous, depending on where you live. Experience makes you safer, though.
* Sweat, although that can be managed with proper hygiene and gear (i.e. jerseys and tights).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.