Bad words in English

Pages: 12
Do you guys know what are the bad words in English? Ya know saying bad words is... bad itself. And I wanna avoid saying them. You can censor them a little bit with the uhm... '*' asterisk aka star.
closed account (L6b7X9L8)
Well if you censor them you won't exactly know what they are, but as this is a family website and I am hoping this is a serious question I'll do my best.

My favourite though the most hated is C***. Never ever say this word around people you do not know, the looks they will give you would be something similar to if you booted down their door on christmas and P***ed on their kids.

I think ass or arse isn't so bad so I won't censor them, no necessarily bad just rude to say.

S**t is another common one we say here all the time.

I'm sure you know of the F word already.

Umm.. There is Bitch but depending on the context. It's real meaning is a female dog but extremely rude to call a person.

A bastard is a child who is born who's parents were not married before conception ( Like me! ) but is generally used as an offensive word these days.

Another good 'un is prick. If not used to mean a sharp stabbing pain in your skin is a term used for something else that is used to stabbing. Which leads me on to my next one.

D**k is one of the most overly used bad words, it's not a good one.

Cock can also be used to mean the D word but is also an abbreviation of Cockerel, which is a bird, or can be used as a very British 'poppy cock' meaning bulls**t.

One which we say in England not so much America which I think is a cool word ( it's not, obviously ) is Boll***s, which means a mans testicles.

Um there is Tw** which is used as slang for the female sex organ, though in my area adding an ed to the end means hitting something i.e A wasp came to close so I tw**ed it with me shoe.

That's all I can think of atm.

edit:

Another one is retard. Depending on the people you are around it is a really offensive word. It's meaning depending on context is the behaviour of a mentally disabled person. This used to be an accepted word like, back in the 50's but I like to think people have a little more respect now.

I don't think I'm going to go into all the racist ones. They differ from place to place and it's probably something that won't come into general conversation, you will know it's bad when you hear it.

One which you will hear a lot is probably faggot. This is something people refer to as homosexual men, but again in England, it's a type of food! It's a ball made of pork, can't beat faggots mash and gravy with peas. :)
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
There are no bad words; only prudish people.
+1 Canis lupus for this observation. If you don't want to offend anyone ever OP then don't talk to anyone ever. Otherwise there are people who are going to yell at you just because they enjoy the feeling of being an SJW.
Disagree.

Civil discourse is the basis of all quality human interaction. By using words that are offensive you reject real communication (understanding each other) and substitute only the communication of uncaring at the best and hatred at the worst -- both extremes of contempt.

When our own pride makes us think that the thoughts and feelings of others are beneath our own, then we have no hope of any true communication, since we will be unable to understand things greater than ourselves.

And when a person no longer feels like anyone listens to him (or her), his heart begins to grow cold and angry.

Just the kind of world that is no fun to live in.
(Hey, look out the window! Wonder how that happened?)

Good thing there are still many people who do care enough to censor themselves enough to show love.

(As a side note, it isn't just cuss words that communicates contempt; we can demonstrate that in many myriads of ways.)
I don't mean to encourage blatant obsessive profanity; obviously there are things that shouldn't be said, and social contracts that we all should still adhere to. My point was more to do with the whole euphemism treadmill idea where words that are used to describe one thing at one point in time are suddenly "offensive" to people for no other reason then that they chose to be offended by them. In my lifetime the word "handicapped" was how I was told I should refer to people who have a disability, then that word became 'offensive' and I was told that I should use the word "disabled" then "differently able" and now it seems there are people who are insisting that even the absence of a sensory input, such as hearing, that most other people posses is somehow not even a disability. A very similar thing happened with the term "gay" in my lifetime and this word isn't even offensive in it's original definition of meaning 'happy'.
You are right about the what we call 'Politically correct' terms.

Handicapped and gay are both good examples. Some words are coined for being offensive though, the N bomb for example, is an offensive word. But it's not offensive if you are the right person to say it ( I won't go into detail about this for being edgy ).

I hear now in schools they don't sing 'baa baa black sheep' any more, because it's offensive.

Crazy isn't it that?
closed account (3T7k92yv)
Do you guys know what are the bad words in English? Ya know saying bad words is... bad itself. And I wanna avoid saying them. You can censor them a little bit with the uhm... '*' asterisk aka star.

Have you heard of jigaboo?
Last edited on

Have you heard of jigaboo?

have you seriously made an account just to say that?
Duoas: That's only one way to look at it. I would argue that people censor themselves because they aren't entirely comfortable with the people they're speaking to, so they tiptoe around certain subjects for fear of what the other person will say. Rather than "showing love", it's a way of showing your distance to the other person.
None of these words are bad alone; they are only bad in context. As a quick example, shouting "fuck yes" at a football match when your team scores would be appropriate usage of the word, however, use of the same word in a school setting would be inappropriate.
Swear words can even be useful. A sudden and loud exclamation with swearing can be used to warn others of danger or bring their help. Say if I were to stand on a nail without good footwear, I might shout something like "ahh shit" which would alert others to the fact I am injured quickly and effectively.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
I believe it's been shown that cussing will actually decrease the amount of pain felt when injured!
Last edited on
The problem is that language is not set -- it changes over time. And context makes a difference. What helios argues does happen, though not always under the same context, even for the same person.

All language comes from a common understanding.

That's why we (and all cultures) have a common "elevated language", if you will, so that people can try to communicate without giving offense, and treat "vulgar" (or common) language as generally tactless.

People always have a hard time being mistreated, no matter the word used, and regardless of the intent.

@funtocode
[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoalgesic_effect_of_swearing

@Mats
So would shouting "Ow ow ow owwie!" or even just screaming. It is rare for people in instant pain to make conscious decisions about their vocabulary.

I also disagree about the football match. The people sitting in front of you might think you ought to obey some public profanity laws -- and whether reasonable or not -- you are still forcing them to hear what they would prefer not to in a public place -- a place they should have an equal right to enjoy.

Which brings up an interesting point: You have a private right to do all kinds of uncouth and horrid stuff. But people somehow believe they have a public right to the same. The less civil public discourse, the more antagonistic public interactions.

Can I buy a ticket to the football match in a seat where cussers will not be? Or does the venue specifically require me to defer to those who think they ought to be able to subject my ears to overtly offensive language? In purchasing a ticket, am I waiving my own convictions to those who don't care? That's kind of one-sided, methinks.
People use the type of language they are accustom to. The circumstances usually doesn't change that. People who cuss when hurt will cuss, those who don't cuss won't when hurt. Those who do will in a game, those who don't won't.

@Duoas
I don't believe that at all. I've been injured a lot and curse every time, but I have never noticed it making the pain feel less.
Last edited on
So would shouting "Ow ow ow owwie!" or even just screaming. It is rare for people in instant pain to make conscious decisions about their vocabulary.

I'm not so sure. Having done some construction, if someone says ow you hardly bat an eyelid. Screaming sounds a bit physically intense for most injuries.

I also disagree about the football match. The people sitting in front of you might think you ought to obey some public profanity laws -- and whether reasonable or not -- you are still forcing them to hear what they would prefer not to in a public place -- a place they should have an equal right to enjoy.

Can I buy a ticket to the football match in a seat where cussers will not be? Or does the venue specifically require me to defer to those who think they ought to be able to subject my ears to overtly offensive language? In purchasing a ticket, am I waiving my own convictions to those who don't care? That's kind of one-sided, methinks.

You sound like you've never been to a football match before.
BHX wrote:
People use the type of language they are accustom to...

My point exactly.

BHX wrote:
@Duoas

I didn't make it up. Just supplying citation for funtocode's assertation.

Mats wrote:
I'm not so sure. Having done some construction...

I've worked heavy earth construction. Means nothing for this argument.

Standing on a nail is a pretty painful thing.

I can also say "ahh sh**" in a way that people won't bat an eyelid. The way you say it makes the difference.

Mats wrote:
You sound like you've never been to a football match before.

No, it sounds like you are ignoring my side of the argument with the lame "that's the way it is" argument.
Last edited on
Duoas wrote:
I didn't make it up. Just supplying citation for funtocode's assertation.

I know, I was just stating that I didn't believe the information in the link you provided. I base this disbelief on personal experiences. There may be some who really do have less pain when cursing, but I'm not one of them as it hurts the same if I curse or not.
@Duoas - Your football argument is based on false premises though.
The people sitting in front of you might think you ought to obey some public profanity laws -- and whether reasonable or not -- you are still forcing them to hear what they would prefer not to in a public place -- a place they should have an equal right to enjoy.

A football stadium is private property, not a public place.

The way you say it makes the difference.

Definitely agree on this though.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
@Duoas. Thanks for supplying the reference.
I just knew I'd read it somewhere. I should have tried to look it up.
In my experience the pain isn't diminished a lot. It seems to me it's anger that actually provides the effect.

They did say the effect is greatest for those who rarely curse otherwise.
closed account (oSGzwA7f)
Cursing is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart. As a young man I learned to curse fluently in the US military. My cursing is so fluent that it is part of my very being. My internal voice, (that private voice that we use to speak to ourselves), curses and I wish it did not.

I rarely curse out loud, but under stress the curses sometimes slip-out. I now understand that I can communicate anything just as well without a curse as with one.

One of the major problems for me with cursing is its affect on others. I am a very large and imposing man, when I curse it frightens people, they fear I might hurt someone or something. Not everyone hears curses as adjectives adding emphasises; they hear a large frightening man who might be losing control. It is not fun to see your co-workers step back and become quiet because you just lost $1.25 in a Coke machine. If you have not yet learned to curse fluently, I would strongly recommend breaking the habit.
Pages: 12