Server Build

I'm trying to build a home server to hold my source code for my programs (maybe a git server), as well as files in general. I'm trying to make it as cheap, energy efficient, and quiet as possible.

It's going to be headless, and just run in my closet or something like that.

My Build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3PDFM

I also would like to know if its worth it to buy a version of Windows Server, or get a Linux distro and put it on there.
Last edited on
Don't. Just don't .
You could be easily DDOS'd and there are other security issues (especially if you have windows server :p ) that you can't handle.
Ask me,buy a cheap , probably used build for a small home server disconnected from the internet if you want to , use a premium web hosting service for you source etc.
a k n wrote:
Ask me,buy a cheap , probably used build for a small home server disconnected from the internet
Well, that was the plan. :P
Last edited on
You can always look into network attached servers also, they are actually pretty cheap now days and their power usage is very low. I have one myself and am very happy with it, I mainly use it like you are planning to (Storage for my projects with git and also for storing my media).

Depending on what you need the good brands range from $150 (Without HHD's) to around $350. Definitely worth checking out at least.
I also plan on using it to host some LAN game matches with my friends and family. Would NAS work there?

Sorry for these newb-ish questions, I have no idea with what I'm doing when it comes to servers.
> Well, thatwas the plan. :P
I misunderstood then ... :)
idk , how I missed that
Last edited on
Why do you need a server for LAN games? A router should do just fine. Also spending more on a fan than the actual processor is a bit odd to me.
Why do you need a server for LAN games?

To host some games.
Minecraft comes to mind,and there and other games that need to be hosted as such.
Last edited on
Do you know the concept of LAN matches? It involves everybody being in the same network. Minecraft for example doesn't need a host for lan games since version 1.4
Do you know the concept of LAN matches? It involves everybody being in the same network. Minecraft for example doesn't need a host for lan games since version 1.4
I really don't want to host a server off of a computer. I might want to add plugins (with a bukkit server).

There are also RTSes, and other games that I'd like to occasionally host.
Last edited on
Ok, then there isn't much for me to say since i don't have or never had a server that wasn't running off a computer
my 2 cents, no need to buy windows server. Linux would do fine for a headless server, plus it would definitely help with the price. If experience with linux is your problem, then there's tons of tutorials on anything to everything, especially on servers, out there.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.