Memories about your first times coding

Hi everyone, I'm DJ and I just wanna tell you this.
My very first trick was like this in C++.
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main() {
	std::cout << "What's your name? ";
	std::string s;
	std::cin >> s;
	std::cout << s << " is stupid!" << std::endl;
	std::cin.get();
	return 0;
}

I coded it when I was a kid.
And after that, I tested it with my name.
And I think the output was magical.
I was like: "Make the computer do whatever I want. No way."
What about you?
My first experience with programming was when I tried to make levels for a game called Dungeon Keeper many years ago. It had a simple scripting language that you was supposed to use to trigger different actions. I didn't understand much and mostly copied from existing levels and tried to make changes to it. I remember I once managed to trigger some bug that made infinite number of enemies enter at a much higher pace than was normally possible.
My first experience with programming was BASIC on my school's computer in 7th grade. I was more fascinated with it once we got to the point of drawing things like a rocket or telephone to the screen.
@Peter87
So have you ever finished that game? I have never finished any project of mine.
I was coding at a table in my dinning room on a laptop lol. i was starting to use a if statement(in batch the window bash) with user input and i just thought that was the coolest thing ever. i was only like 9 though. and from there on i was just so into coding making a super speed magic box do whatever i wanted not talking back nothing. just doing what i told it.

Now that is what started a life long obsession with computers. I went from Batch to Java to PHP to C++ where i am now and i've had so much fun doing this and i will have so much more fun in the future. coding while riding a jetpack that will be fun dont you think.

So that is my first memory of coding i geuss and a little of what happened after.
dleanjeanz wrote:
So have you ever finished that game? I have never finished any project of mine.

I have played through the single player mode. Note that I didn't make that game. I just did some levels that me and my friends played.
I remember being thoroughly confused about resizing arrays and 2D vectors.
I was introduced to programming in school through the programming language LOGO. I remember wondering why the 'turtle' was called so.
My first program was on a TI-83 while I was bored at school.

I made a text-RPG which had a bunch of if-else statements (no loops):

"You walk down a hall. 1=Turn left, 2=Turn right"
"You turned left and got eaten by a monster, Game over"

... Wait, the turtle! I forgot all about that! We had a computer class in grade 4 20 years ago. We got some instructions to enter into the calico and I remember a classmate crying when his didn't work. Turns out he entered a O instead of 0.
Last edited on
Stewbond wrote:
"You turned left and got eaten by a monster, Game over"

LOL
What about turning right?
My first programing was with, I believe, the turtle game that Stewbond played. It was basically a triangle on a screen and one would write something like: "REPEAT 360 FORWARD 1 RIGHT 1". That would draw a circle ( took a minute or two or three ). I remember I didn't know how to spell "repeat".

The Science Museum had the same program, but they had made a physical track to move a turtle through. It was this weird thing no one knew how to use in the midst of a bunch of computers running Oregon Trail and Battle Chess. I remember the day I walked into the lab and realized I knew how to move the turtle around, it was awesome.

Interesting enough, my next programming would also be in the form of TI-83. I would write programs that would do our homework and sell them to classmates. My crowning achievement with the TI-83 was making Mastermind.
my very first small but amazing (at that time) project I made was a calculator at the beginning I was so confused how I will make the algorithm for processing the input I guess it took me a day or two to figure out and I was so excited when I finally get it. Although nowadays, I just wander why it took me time to get it while its relatively simple.

That rush of adrenaline when solving programming problems and the challenge is what I love in programming (AI) and the ability to simulate real things in virtual worlds giving you the feel of controlling the world and making your roles.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.