Anybody know about "Hackintoshes"?

So, I would like Mac, but I can't afford a 1300 dollar garbage laptop with an Apple logo. Well, for 1300 dollars it is garbage, but if it was 400 - like the average laptop - I would buy it.

I heard about a "Hackintosh" earlier in my life, and now, with the new "Swift" language Apple released (there is a thread about it in the Lounge), it seems like an opportunity for a programmer like myself. But, due to the name "HACKintosh", it seems like it is illegal or something. Is it? Can you put it on a custom build? Is it even any different from the regular Mac?
due to the name "HACKintosh", it seems like it is illegal or something. Is it?
You could always check out their site. http://www.hackintosh.com/

Anyways, there is always mavericks that is free. http://www.apple.com/osx/

*Another side note the 1300 macbooks aren't crap and anyways apple is a pretty high end brand. I haven't had any problems with any of their products.
Last edited on
About what you said last - perhaps I worded that wrong. I meant that I don't think they are worth the 1300 dollars. I do like them, and software wise, they blow Windows out of the water. One of the big things wrong with them is the lack of game capability, in other words, you can't game on them.
As for the links, thanks. I'll check them out.
If you want to play games just stick with windows.
I would disagree.
"HACKintosh", it seems like it is illegal or something.

hacking is not illegal god damn it!
closed account (z05DSL3A)
hacking is not illegal god damn it!
That all depends on where you live, and your definition of hacking.
AceDawg45,

If you want to look at swift now, you will need to beta of OS X Yosemite and the beta of XCode 6.

But the bigger question to ask yourself is; if you don't want to buy into Apple, why bother looking at a language that is designed specifically for Apple products?
But the bigger question to ask yourself is; if you don't want to buy into Apple, why bother looking at a language that is designed specifically for Apple products?

Well, I don't like Mac. iOS is something I like though. But without a Mac, you can't develop for it (as far as I know).

not really... just because hollywood says that a hacker is someone who sits at a computer giving viruses to everyone doesnt make it so
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Hacker : http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111119077/3828517-4907626236-13226.jpg

Fairly sure this kind of hacking is illegal in most countries.
Last edited on
i dont think we were talking abou that kind of hacking lol. it was in terms of computers. however that specific form doesnt look illegal
To clear things up about hacking, there are three types; white, gray, and black hats. White hat hacking is totally legal and it is used for security, black hat hacking is illegal and that is where you are trying to harm another computer, and gray hat hacking is in between, can be legal or illegal.

The thing with a hackintosh is to install mac on a non apple computer. Before you install Mac you have to do a terms of agreement and in that is actually a part that says "You can only install Mac on a device with an apple logo" or something similar, so you would be violating that right from the beginning, which can be illegal I believe.

I have done a hackintosh on any computer that I get that will install it. I have done it a lot of times on a laptop I used to have. The problem with a hackintosh is that you have to hope that your components have a mac driver or you won't have certain things. Like the laptop I had I didn't have QE/CI which is a major part of Mac, I only had a resolution of 800x600 which some things wouldn't work, I could only do basic web browsing and create simple terminal programs.

I would do some driver searching on osx86.net I believe is the site but they have a bunch of drivers for a lot of different things and if they don't have it you can be certain that there is no driver for Mac.

I hope I helped. If you are worried about the legal matter do what I am doing, I bought a Powermac G5, iMac g4, and iBook g4 it cost me $175 total. If you don't want PowerPC you can get a first generation MacBook for $100 and it will run 10.7 or 10.8
Yeah, actually I found a Mac Mini (first version) for 180. But thanks for clearing that up for me. I doubt the GTX 750 TI have Mac drivers
I'm sure there is a driver, the laptop I used to have was a Samsung n150 and that is the worst one to do a hackintosh on and it still worked, I guarantee you that osx86 will have a driver, they have drivers for most components
I wrote:
Little Bobby Tables wrote:
not really... just because hollywood says that a hacker is someone who sits at a computer giving viruses to everyone doesnt make it so
LBT, I was talking about your definition of hacking. You are making the claim that hacking in not illegal, so it is your definition of hacking that matters to that statement. It also matters to the reader, if they have a different understanding of what hacking is, they get a different view on your statement.

Hacking is such an ill defined term that it is pointless to try to make specific statements about it.

To me, hacking is just using you skills and knowledge in an experimental way to further your skill, increase your knowledge, or have fun, etc. (this is not restricted to computers). Obviously this in itself is not illegal but some activities that I get up to may not be so.

hacking is not an ill defined term. people just treat it as it is. the proper definition is more along the lines of what you said at the bottom. its like bitcoins or torrenting. people arbitrarily saying its illegal does not make it so. torrenting illegal things is illegal, but not torrenting. bit coin currency/mining isnt illegal, even though it can be used to fund illegal things (but so can any currency), and hacking isnt illegal, but using this knowledge to break into or just break a system (commonly called black hat hacking) is illegal. but i digress. lets get back on topic
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.