Books v ebooks?

Pages: 12
You know I have two kindle devices and they are great for reading novels / light reading. But I feel that they are not so good when I try to study a technical book on them. For technical books and i'm thinking of programming books, I really like to hold the hard copy.

I have looked at the tutorial section of this site a few times and it is very good. But I have a hard time absorbing information in a digital format. My concentration span seems to be reduced when I look at a monitor.

I would be interested to hear if people here have a preference for hard copy books over ebooks or if it makes no difference to you.
Last edited on
The day you teach me how to use ctrl+f on a collection of dead, tattooed trees is the day I will admit that printed technical manuals are better then digital ones.

EDIT: Being able to grep a volume of printed manuals would make me even happier now that I think of it. For now, I'm happy using the medium that facilitates these operations.
Last edited on
haha thats a good one. I've never heard of books being described as tattooed trees before :)
Here's what Donald E. Knuth thinks in that matter : http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2213858
See the 10th question. Unfortunately , there is no direct link to that question , but you still use ctrl+f :) , search :
Could you comment on the differences between the print, pdf, ePUB, etc., editions of TAOCP? What would you say is gained or lost with each

What do I think ?
Although , I don't have an opinion formed on this matter ,
both have advantages and disadvantes (let's say ebooks have more pros)
I use both , ebooks are generally cheap and easily searchable , but hard books also have their own value.,
if I get an option I'd get both a printed copy is handy too.
My concentration span seems to be reduced when I look at a monitor.

Right.
Last edited on
@trojan horse
For me it's completely opposite. I hate reading novels on a tablet/laptop, I need to have a real book in my hands. On the other hand, technical books are usually not what you read from start to end, and so they are much more comfortable to work with in a digital form.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I look forward to the day that I can buy a printed book and get the kindle version* along with it. I think they are doing that with some books in the USofA but it hasn't made it to Blighty yet.

I prefer normal books, because usually I get tired reading in front of a screen
Only reason I get ebooks is because they are usually cheaper than the printed book. For example, most books I get usually are $60 for print and $40 for ebook. That and the fact that I get it instantly with ebook instead of waiting a week or so to get the printed book.

Of course, my reasoning is because I live on my laptop programming and reading different books when I'm not helping my family. The table I use is small and doesn't accommodate being both on my laptop and reading as I'm reading the book to understand a point I'm struggling with on a project. With my laptop I can have a two column page open and an editor open.

This is how my desktop looks if I'm reading a book for learning a concept or feature or in this case, learning a language.

http://prntscr.com/3sfqzx
closed account (oSGzwA7f)
For light reading ebooks are head and tails better. For technical reading I get ebooks because of the weight; but I still have not been able to adjust when it comes to finding something I read before.

With old paper books I remember were I was on the page and where I was in the book--with ebooks that spatial method I use to remember where I found something is not there. I believe with time I will develop an intuitive understanding of location of information in a book that I have with paper books (but I am not there yet).
Last edited on
It would be interesting to test if a correlation between age and opinion exists here. I'm 27 and think that digital is superior.
Last edited on
I'm 32 and think they both have their place, but neither one is superior. I would rather have physical books, but (like I said above) table space, money, and the fact that I'm on my laptop 24/7 makes digital a better fit for me.
Last edited on
I'd honestly just prefer physical books, because when your PC dies or your power goes out you don't lose your book.

And I don't think anything can beat the feeling of a new, fresh book.
@Avilius
Only if you get your book through questionable methods. Most of my collection is through Amazon so I can pull them up on any computer or device that has the Kindle Reader app on it. Other companies usually have links you can always go to in order to get PDFs or such in case you lose you books without any questions asked (or without charging additional fees).

Though, I admit, I love the smell of the new paper in an unopened book.
I'll weigh in with a few points here:

Paper novels are superior as when you restart your book or loose your place, you don't need to press "next" on every page until you get to your spot.

For technical references CTRL+F is nice, but it's a very easy shortcut that people become dependant on. If it's a document that you plan to spend the next year using as a reference, you want to become familiar with its layout (chapters, bookmarks) so that you will read those details in the text. I've helped many people who haven't used information available to them because the document hadn't been OCR'd, or worse; had been OCR'd but just hadn't been read.

Since I work in flight simulation, one place of interest is the use of tablets over paper approach charts. The approach charts must be available to pilots during the approach. Period. There is an argument that paper will not fail when wet, dropped, or out of batteries. However, the FAA has approved tablets to replace paper for a few reasons. The motivation for airlines to push for this is that the paper weighs a tremendous amount and the reduction in weight is a significant reduction in fuel, not to mention the printing costs (all charts need to be re-printed every 30 days to ensure they are current).

The reasons this is allowed is that organizations have proved to the FAA that the tablets can be just as reliable as the original paper copies after some modifications to the airframes:
Special brackets are fitted to cockpits to hold these devices so that they don't interferre with a pilot's operation and don't lay in his lap. Arinc buses from the flight management computers to the tablets (electronic flight bags) provide position data which helps to access relevant maps faster. Power supplies are applied to the devices by default when mounted in their brackets. Redundant systems are available in the cockpit (1 for captain, 1 for first officer, 1 for observer, 1 spare).

Since the electronic flight bags (EFBs) relay technical data, it is faster to provide it as an application than as a hard-copy. Entering the ICAO code of your destination airport and arrival will give you all applicable charts instead of leafing through a book to find it.

In grade 7 (15 years ago) I remember participating in a contest. We were in the school library and split into two teams. One team was asked to use Encyclopedia Britannica on CD-ROM to find the answer to a question. The other team was asked to use a printed encyclopedia. When they said "GO" one team ran to the computers while the other ran to the bookshelves. The printed people found their answers before the computer people. Now that we are tech-savey, I wonder if the results would change (people would just use wikipedia from their iPhones).

Personally, I find the light of the LCD/LED/CTR display to hurt when I'm in bed. However, the kindle, Kobo, and similar devices have addressed this with devices that don't use backlighting and only use batteries when you flip a page. It makes it very easy to read as long as you have suitable light. Therefore, I have not found a good reason to prefer books over digital.
Last edited on
Stewbond wrote:
Paper novels are superior as when you restart your book or loose your place, you don't need to press "next" on every page until you get to your spot.

Kindle/Kindle Reader goes right to the last place I was at when I "open" the book. If I go back to the contents and then go to a different book for a few days, and then go back to it, it will ask if I want to go back to the furthest place I read or mark the current place (the contents) as the furthest point.
> ctrl+f
/

> Only reason I get ebooks is because they are usually cheaper than the printed book.
> For example, most books I get usually are $60 for print and $40 for ebook.
I don't understand how they can justify such an extravagant price.
Also, ¿buying books? ¡These Romans are crazy!
.uinairo'e gigapedia

I really like ebooks but I don't think that I could trust the electronic device to a kid.
ne555 wrote:
I don't understand how they can justify such an extravagant price.
Also, ¿buying books? ¡These Romans are crazy!
.uinairo'e gigapedia

I don't get books through questionable means. Extravagant price? College textbooks are almost always $100+ (think the cheapest course book I had to get was $115) and I only buy books that are considered absolutely the best from several sites (The C++ Programming Language, for example).
ne555 wrote:
I really like ebooks but I don't think that I could trust the electronic device to a kid.

Well most devices let you lock purchases where you have to enter a password to buy anything. My Kindle is that way, I have to punch in a password to buy anything on it (same with my wife's Kindle and my 9 yr old son's Kindle).
Last edited on
Extravagant price? College textbooks are almost always $100+ (think the cheapest course book I had to get was $115)
Me and my cats live for a month with just three of those, and I don't even pay rent.

Well most devices let you lock purchases where you have to enter a password to buy anything.
I think he was referring to the well-being of the device.
helios wrote:
I think he was referring to the well-being of the device.

Oh, I guess some kids could be rough with theirs. My son isn't, thankfully, but thinking back to all the pricey consoles I owned as a kid and wasn't rough with them. Guess it just depends on the kid that is using it.
Pages: 12