Webdriver Torso

Recently I've read an article in the BBC website ( http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27778071 ) about a youtube account Webdriver Torso who is uploading strange files with random rectangles and sounds. They videos last 11 seconds each (see one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHva6_gzX1s ) and Google was hiding that it was responsible for this videos, but in that article it had admitted that it was. They said it was for testing if the videos are uploaded at the same quality as they were made. In official statement Google said: "We're never gonna give you uploading that's slow or loses video quality, and we're never gonna let you down by playing YouTube in poor video quality.
"That's why we're always running tests like Webdriver Torso."

But if this was the reason then why hiding it? What do you think about this?

Edit: Corrected the links
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Why did you write the OP in bold?

Maybe Google just didn't want people to know. You don't have to announce every single last detail that you're doing to the public you know.
I wrote it in bold because I wanted it to be different than the note below.
And also lots of people wondered who is behind, couldnt google just tell them? Why being a mystery when it is controled by google?
Oh ! Finally the mystery is solved .
> And also lots of people wondered who is behind, couldnt google just tell them?
Maybe they were having fun reading the wild speculations people did : aliens , one-time pads etc.
"... never gonna give you up... never gonna let you down..." sounds familiar.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
It helps them gain publicity as without the population knowing they may speculate and spread the information about it and gain more publicity until Google Announces it was them in which case publicity will shoot up.

A lot companies do these publicity stunts, to gain popularity for their upcoming products, newly-released products and so on.

closed account (N36fSL3A)
And also lots of people wondered who is behind, couldnt google just tell them? Why being a mystery when it is controled by google?
Maybe they have better things to do than to disprove conspiracy theorists.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.