what happened to chess++?

Pages: 123... 5
As I recall I had this really great Idea and all you guys thought I was awesome and went off and started work on chess plus plus just to make me happy and try and win my favour by working together to show of your coding skills, but I got bored and distracted by beautiful women and decided to go to university and after a short while, after showing hte university what an awesome student can do I got a job being the jesus of kitchen porters at Carluchio's, and while washing a pot I had a profound and deeply realising thought, how far di yo uguys get with chess++ and what happened??
Is it finished or at least playable?
I think the layout is a little too overcomplicated. If I remember right, I pitched the idea of virtual pieces so we could expand outside of normal gametypes. But I lost interest when other things that I didn't really find much purpose too kept cropping up...

Like this: https://github.com/cpluspluscom/ChessPlusPlus/blob/master/src/SfmlEventHandler.hpp
... where the events have to be read through a switch statement anyways: https://github.com/cpluspluscom/ChessPlusPlus/blob/master/src/app/Application.cpp

Also, whenever the most basic of resource management classes turns into this: https://github.com/cpluspluscom/ChessPlusPlus/blob/master/src/res/ResourceManager.hpp

I can't even participate because I have no clue wtf that is. I can't tell if that's C++ or Klingon. Well, maybe I'm just old fashioned... I've never been one to complicate simple things. This project is probably one of the few things that turned my opinion around and made me appreciate a simple C API.

EDIT: I'm not mad or anything. I also don't think it's bad. It might be easier on those more used to designs like that. It's a simple opinion that expresses why I don't participate on it anymore. ;)
Last edited on
I started writing a blog post titled "Why ChessPlusPlus is the worst thing since burnt toast" but much like ChessPlusPlus itself, I never got around to finishing it (before you write me off as a hater it's hyperbole for comedic effect).
I started writing a blog post titled "Why ChessPlusPlus is the worst thing since burnt toast" but much like ChessPlusPlus itself, I never got around to finishing it (before you write me off as a hater it's hyperbole for comedic effect).
i am writing you off as a hater still. burnt toast is great.
Just gotta love the taste of charcoal.
youre burning your toast wrong. so are we going to just scrap the project and start over?
*Shrugs* maybe part of the problem is that nobody is interested in making a chess game...
its for the best. im making a different game anyways
The goal of the project was to make a modular C++11 chess game. It ended up being overrun by that LB guy and the code got so advanced nobody cared to learn how to understand it, so nobody worked on it anymore and then that LB guy got distracted. I've heard rumors he still wants to work on it though.
Damn, he sounds like a real asshole :P </kidding>
I don't know why, but I looked up the def. of advanced and found this,

new and not yet generally accepted.
"his advanced views made him unpopular"

Damn kids using all this new advanced stuff that nobody understands...

Seriously though, I prefer code that is deliberately made simple enough that even your grandmother can figure out how to use it :)

What still needs to be done?
we decided to port it all to brainfuck++ (it was brainfuck but we need networking). you can start on doing that if you want
*Shrugs* maybe part of the problem is that nobody is interested in making a chess game...

Yeah, I think it was mostly just an excuse to write code and as such, why not make it about exploring the newest and most advanced features of C++.

To get my interest, there would need to be some twist or feature in the game that hasn't been done before.

Like, maybe pawns that have at least one kill can move diagonally, pawns with two kills can forward jump over an opponent, maybe move backwards.

Bishops with more than one kill can maneuver off one side of the board and continue moving on the other side, same with rooks.

Queen with more than one kill can swap places with knights.

Maybe develop a new board layout for more than two players at a time.

And you've gotta have cool sound effects and voiceovers; pieces need to talk, humor, drama, etc.

this is starting to sound like an rpg
Maybe pieces don't get killed in one move, but have health points. The pieces follow the same rules of movement as normal, except that when you attack, you deal damage to the opponent based on a weighted/randomized calculation. If you deal enough damage to kill the piece, you take it's place (or maybe choose if you want to take it's place), otherwise, neither piece moves. The more kills a piece has, the more powerful it is. You get one move, and one attack per turn ( or whatever seams reasonable ) .

Last edited on
*cough* fire emblem *cough*
htirwin wrote:
Maybe develop a new board layout for more than two players at a time.
That was the plan, in fact it already has support for more than 2 players. You just have to edit the config files.
There are so many chess GUIs that it seems a bit pointless to write yet another one? Why don't we come up with our own variant on a game such as Chess (or maybe like Backgammon or Go or something?) and write a GUI for that? i.e. Not just using a chess board and changing the pieces' powers, but writing an entirely new board game.
Last edited on
Pages: 123... 5