Where to start?

Pages: 12
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Hello everyone, I have not programmed for around 2 weeks, and do not know where to start from in my book. I am reading Chapter 9 and I was mid way through it.

I feel like I have forgotten everything, what should I do?
Restart the chapter or wat???

Thank you
If you feel like you have forgotten everything, then start again. Not a big deal, not like each chapter is 100+ pages or something. Hell, I'm reading a book right now, and I re-read paragraphs sometimes to make sure I'm understanding what I read. Kind of a no brainer, if you are worried you have forgotten, then start over because there is no point in continuing from current place if you aren't sure you remember the points earlier in the chapter.
You've had >900 posts on this forum and you're asking for advice on how to read a book?!

post count has nothing to do with how good you are at c++, or how well you can remember content from a book...
Little Bobby Tables wrote:

post count has nothing to do with how good you are at c++, or how well you can remember content from a book...

I know, it just seems that the OP has probably been around a while and seen a whole bunch of questions/answers to many things as well as contributed to many, and it just seems so trivial that they'd be asking this...

Still I'd have to agree with BHXS if this is an honest question, when I started C++ I finished my first tutorial book, then I started learning C++ again from this site's reference, then a pdf (sorry for not paying) for a C tutorial specifically noted as "K&R edition", (as well as a bunch of other C/C++ pdf's that I can't remember)...

I think I read about 4/5 different "complete" tutorials to C++ but each one explains things a little differently or each one might have limited space so leave some things out which it may consider less important (sorry for saying that) where as others consider it more important and have lots of detail on it.

This really helped me with pointers and templates because they can be quite bizarre to someone who's got no idea how a computers memory works and has just entered the programming world with absolutely no prior knowledge.

I have a report? =(

PS... On a completely unrelated note, I am loving SGH's Chrome plugin for this site that code-iSe's and quotes... apart from the spelling XD
Last edited on
@SatsumaBenji wait does post count show how experienced you are in c++? I dont want to be mean or anything but I would just like to tell you that I am(used to be) a very active person in the lounge and I also have asked many questions which have increased my post count. Sooo....
@BHX Yesterday I did some coding, im remembering stuff as I need them. I think its just stuck in my head and I need to get it out again. Thank you for your response, Im thinking of just restarting the chapter and doing revision daily (no school next week:))
Thank you
When it comes to learning ideas in C++ (or any programming language), it takes a combination of two things, reading, that is studying the theory, and practise, that is actually writing code. Sometimes when backtracking it may be sufficient to simply re-read certain sections of the book - and that may go on for a long time, I like to keep multiple bookmarks in a book I'm working from. It may also be useful to try out writing some more code to make use of those ideas - it is this actual writing of code (and the repetition involved) which helps in the learning process.
Chervil wrote:
When it comes to learning ideas in C++ (or any programming language), it takes a combination of two things, reading, that is studying the theory, and practise, that is actually writing code. Sometimes when backtracking it may be sufficient to simply re-read certain sections of the book - and that may go on for a long time, I like to keep multiple bookmarks in a book I'm working from. It may also be useful to try out writing some more code to make use of those ideas - it is this actual writing of code (and the repetition involved) which helps in the learning process.

Thank you, yes I agree with you. I need to practice and get the stuff out of my head and also read some stuff
A chapter is not a lot of reading...
a chapter is no set amount of pages. it can be quite a bit of reading. most of my programming books have chapters so huge that i cant simply just sit down and reread them
@Little Bobby Tables
Unless he is reading books from guys like Lippman, Stroustrup, Koenig, Meyer, etc. or a college course book, the chapters are usually fairly short. Beginner books, which is what I'm assuming he is reading, are designed to quickly give the reader a basic understanding of the language and keep it short whereas books by the above named gentlemen are usually not beginner oriented and loaded with technical details that would lose most beginners pretty fast.
@BHX Specter Actually I`m reading Lippman`s book, C++ Primer 5th edition. It does throw you of, but Im trying my best to stay on the road.

Is there any other book that is really recommended for beginners?
Well a lot recommend C++ Primer as a beginner book, but in truth it is for people who have programmed before, but are only knew to C++. So if you have programmed in a previous language then I'd say stick to C++ Primer.
Xp3rtHamm0r wrote:

I started with "Beginning C++ through game programming" by Michael Dawson, the great thing with that book is that no-matter how many times you might have seen a certain piece of code, it'll still explain each little bit in every source it shows, so you're never thinking "why's that there again?"

This does mean that their's a lot of room taken up by things that other books would skip on doing but it does definitely help drill it all in. Unfortunately this room comes from missing a couple of things out like templates, function pointers, etc, as they're just a little further away from beginners C++ anyway.
Xp3rtHamm0r wrote:

The answer depends on your answer to this question.

Are you reading C++ Primer to learn C++ or to learn programming?
BHX Specter wrote:

Or more clearly put, is C++ your first programming language?
I'd most certainly recommend the book I posted if C++ is your first language, if you already know something like Java / C# / other similar languages then you may want something more direct.
Last edited on
SatsumaBenji wrote:
[quote=Xp3rtHamm0r]Is there any other book that is really recommended for beginners?

I started with "Beginning C++ through game programming" by Michael Dawson, the great thing with that book is that no-matter how many times you might have seen a certain piece of code, it'll still explain each little bit in every source it shows, so you're never thinking "why's that there again?"

This does mean that their's a lot of room taken up by things that other books would skip on doing but it does definitely help drill it all in. Unfortunately this room comes from missing a couple of things out like templates, function pointers, etc, as they're just a little further away from beginners C++ anyway.[/quote]

Thank you, Ill see if I can get the hard copy of the book.

BHX Specter wrote:
[quote=Xp3rtHamm0r]Is there any other book that is really recommended for beginners?

The answer depends on your answer to this question.

[/quote]

I`m using it to learn C++, my first language
The biggest shortcoming of almost all C++ books have is that they only teach the C++ language and leave the reader to their own devices to learn how to actually program with the knowledge they gained. I've seen it time and time again, a beginner finishes the book, but then struggles to figure how to turn their ideas into code.

I've reached the point, because of that, to where I recommend beginners read Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++ 2nd Edition to get a grasp on programming and wet their feet with C++. Then picking up a book on learning C++ in-depth, something like C++ Primer. I even recommend getting The C++ Programming Language 4th Edition as a reference book.
The biggest shortcoming of almost all C++ books have is that they only teach the C++ language and leave the reader to their own devices to learn how to actually program with the knowledge they gained. I've seen it time and time again, a beginner finishes the book, but then struggles to figure how to turn their ideas into code.
you know, i agree bhx, however there is one book that i found is great. its college level, but i learned c++ (and programming for that matter) with this book, coupled with online tutorials (because they explain some of the higher level concepts from a beginners point of view.). not only did it teach me how to program, but it taught me design, and taught how to make applications that i can actually use.
http://www.stroustrup.com/4th.html
Last edited on
@Little Bobby Tables
Did you read the page? Bjarne Stroustrup appears to agree with my stance.
Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:
This is not a good book for beginners. You are right! This book is written assuming that the reader is a programmer. It says so prominently and explicitly (at least five times). For beginners, I recommend Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++. That book is also useful for people who have programmed a bit and want to improve their style and technique - or simply to learn modern C++. It is designed for classroom use, but written with an eye on self study.
i did not, however thats why i said with some online tutorials. the only programming experience i had is with html but learned just fine from it
Pages: 12