• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Confirm leave page should be added to th

Confirm leave page should be added to this site

Have any of you been editing a post and as you're hitting backspace to get rid of a mistake your mouse clicks out of the edit box and your browser navigates back...
(This often happens when I'm on laptop and it's got the ridiculously over sensitive tap-to-click that I can't turn off at all, when I'm typing it clicks everywhere)

This happens a lot when I'm on my laptop and I was just thinking that maybe we could get Twicker to add a confirm leaving the page if you've started typing a post/reply. If Facebook does it for rubbish little statuses that noone cares about anyway then why don't we have it here where we can potentially end up with lots of effort just going strait down the drain. (This has happened to me way too many times)
It would be better if the browser just remembered what you had typed into the text area. There might be a firefox extension for that. Alternatively you could write your posts in a text editor and then copy-and-paste into the text area.
> your mouse clicks out of the edit box and your browser navigates back...
¿ah? I don't understand the situation, ¿do you mean that you accidentally click on a link?

> Confirm leave page should be added to this site
I don't think that that should be an attribution of the page. If I command something to the browser I expect it to obey.

> ridiculously over sensitive tap-to-click that I can't turn off at all
In /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Option "TapButton1" "0"
        Option "TapButton2" "0"
        Option "TapButton3" "0"

Option   "CircularScrolling" "off"
        Option   "VertScrollDelta"   "0"
        Option   "HorizScrollDelta"  "0"
# This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
# enabled by default. See the following link for details:
# http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
EndSection
Last edited on
On a related topic, sometimes when clicking on "preview", the preview page shows up as expected, but the original page where the post was being edited has closed.

This usually happens when I've several browser tabs open and I've not been able to pin down the exact circumstances when it happens. However, I consider it related to the original topic of this thread as it involves the browser unexpectedly navigating away from (or closing) a tab where editing is active.
... the ridiculously over sensitive tap-to-click that I can't turn off at all...

If the option really isn't in your system BIOS for some reason then turn it off in Device Manager, it's still just an input device.

As for your original point, I think it would be too intrusive and would not add enough utility to justify the amount of work required or the annoying pop-up. This issue happens to me occasionally as well, I just quietly seethe for a minute and start retyping.
Still, I just feel like this is one of the places where the confirm leaving page would actually be useful unlike every other thing I use that asks me to confirm when I'm not even doing anything on it. (apart from maybe Youtube uploads)

Computergeek01 wrote:
If the option really isn't in your system BIOS for some reason then turn it off in Device Manager, it's still just an input device.
How do I do that? As far as I am aware all I can do is look at/update/enable/disable the driver.

As for your original point, I think it would be too intrusive and would not add enough utility to justify the amount of work required or the annoying pop-up.
I honestly don't know (because I'm not a web programmer) but I couldn't imagine it would require too much work for that, their are many webpages that do it. As for the annoying pop-up, I am only thinking that it should appear if the edit box is active, but tbh I'd rather live with an annoying pop-up than a painful loss of a lot of work and effort.

@ne555 What you've pasted I am assuming is a piece of the Synaptics device drivers... I know that Synaptics can disable mouse click but if one does not have their driver installed then it's a little pointless pasting that code.
I did try installing Synaptics on this laptop before and had a lot of trouble but I'm gonna try again anyways.
all I can do is look at/update/enable/disable the driver.

We have a winner. There will be a separate instance of the input driver for each input device. It's really just a process of elimination until you get the right one.
Not quite sure I follow, I see one driver for one device (being the trackpad and buttons combined to act as a mouse device), if I was to disable this driver for the input device it would disable the entire mouse (trackpad movement, tap-to-click, and both buttons)...
Last edited on
Ah I misunderstood the issue then. For some reason I imagined you said you had an alternative pointing device that you were using.

EDIT: Hooking the ' PI8042_MOUSE_ISR' can be a fun project. But it's probably more work then you need to do for a functional solution. Still, if for some reason ne555 solution doesn't work... Just back up your settings first
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.