"Real World" Programming - Boring?

So, I've been interning for a month now at a fairly large company. Right off the bat they have had me rewrite an old VB6 application they have into a Java web app, using Spring. Most of the work (besides creating the web pages) has been really easy. It's just been mostly just adding a few lines here and there to configuration files so Spring knows what to do. Most of the actual Java code I have written has been a couple ~3 line methods, and a bunch of getters and setters.

I have talked with other young folks there about the difficulty of their work, and they all say it's not very hard, that they did harder stuff in class during college. They were saying the hardest part of the job is just talking with clients and getting to know what they want. From my observations, this seems very true there.

Even adding security to the application, which I thought would be interesting, turned out to be super easy. It was just add one more dozen or so line configuration file, and then just annotate whatever methods I want to be "secure". The framework handles logins/logouts, user sessions, authorization, etc.

So far everything I have done, anybody could do with a day of basic Java training and the ability to read. It's kind of depressing. Maybe it's the domain I am, maybe it's the fact that web development holds no interest in me, but so far it's kind of boring. I'm incredibly grateful for the experience, but it gives me doubts on if I want to actually pursue software development. I went into this field for the intellectual challenge.

I know basing the entire software industry on my one month of experience is unreasonable, so I just want to ask the people here who do work in the industry, is this how most of the work actually is?
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
...but it gives me doubts on if I want to actually pursue software development. I went into this field for the intellectual challenge.
Web development has always struck me as a bit dull. There are, by far, more challenging fields of software development out there. You just have to decide what you like and train for that.
i think it really depends on the company. the people i intern for write all of their code from scratch. mybigcampus.com was written from the ground up in rails and their webfilter was written with large amounts of c
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Cookie cutters are cheap. Industry likes cheap.
ashwinmo wrote:
hi I need help.
''C++ basic Program" i want to write a program to read and display the user's name.?
the user can type a maximum of 30 characters including specs.

Please don't spam the same message to multiple threads.

Please don't hijack other people's threads.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
It`s where you work, if this dosn`t interest you then choose another field in software dev, you will soon find one that you like.
It can get a little tedious, I think, but it could be profitable in the long run. Personally, I never found as something wildly exciting. However, there is a certain level of personal satisfaction after the task/job is done.
Maybe it's the domain I am, maybe it's the fact that web development holds no interest in me, but so far it's kind of boring.

"no interest" could certainly be a problem.. My first full-time programming job was being a bugfixer for a real-time OS, and as cool as it was to figure out a race condition in the scheduler or a codegen error in the compiler, I remember a lot of personal satisfaction in researching and solving even something as trivial as a messed-up formatting of /bin/df on some device.

If I were you, I'd make use of being in a big company to learn more than what you're assigned to do: look at the recent work made by the most senior devs if you can.. and if none of that is interesting, then maybe it isn't the right place.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.