What do you guys think?

So I have a project I've been working on in c++. But sometimes i lose motivation to keep working on it.

I have some old books lying around about JavaScript and other things i would be willing to learn. do you think it would be a good idea to learn a language while working on my current c++ one? I'm in no hurry on my current one. just not to sure if thats a good idea.
I would recommend HTML 5 over JavaScript unless you have a specific applet you are supporting. That might just be me though.
"However, since this standard is still being developed and implemented – it should not be used as the core technology for sites that need to be accessible by a broad userbase. Currently it is still best if HTML5-specifics (<video> and <canvas> for example) are used in an enhancement role whereby XHTML 1.0/Javascript is used as a base and fallback – ie. assume that the user will not be able to use HTML5 and then enhance the site with the HTML5 features." -http://www.perigeeglobal.com/blog/2011/05/html5-ajax-flash-or-javascript/

is this true? do you think this is the rout i should take? JavaScript base with html5 for specifics?
or just try to tackle web design with html5? what to you think would be more beneficial?
Article dated May 27, 2011.

You can argue that JavaScript is backward compatible but the changes in it's rendering across the different browsers over the years kind of prove that not to be the case. I should note though that I am not a web developer. So feel free to ignore me, I won't be offended.
yeah i saw the date, should have mentioned i was wondering specifically if it was still the case. but i decided that I'm just going to use HTML 5 . thanks, i would have devoured my self in JavaScript and regretted it later. thanks for your support :)
I don't think HTML5 replaces JavaScript. HTML is just for markup.
html5 has major advances made to it
Saying HTML 5 replaces JavaScript is like saying HTML 5 replaces CSS. They're meant to be used together; HTML 5 describes the structure and content of a document, CSS describes how to render it and JavaScript is for interactivity while PHP is for pre-processing and database access (although in most, perhaps all cases you can use JQuery (a JavaScript library) and JQuery plugins instead of PHP and I've heard that it's recommended to do so).

It would be more correct to say HTML 5 "replaces" Flash, but it would be even more correct to say that it makes Flash obsolete. HTML 5, CSS 3 and JavaScript (more correctly called ECMAScript) can collectively be used to replace Shockwave/Flash, but support isn't there for all browsers yet so most websites are still using Flash. YouTube is testing an HTML 5 player, you can opt in to test their HTML 5 player at http://youtube.com/html5. I use it and there's no noticeable difference, but there will be fewer security risks (especially since Flash for Linux is no longer being updated).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.