Getting IRC setup

closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I have no clue on how to get IRC setup. I believe there is a cplusplus IRC (correct me if I`m wrong) and there are others out there that I would like to connect to but I have no clue on how to

Is there a client I have to download? Can someone guide me the right way?
You need a client. There are several of them out there that you can download. Or you can use a web client if you like. KiwiIRC is a good one. Most IRC networks have a webchat client you can use also.
there is also xchat, hexchat, pidgin, iirc (? asamy told me that one), mirc, etc
the channel is #cplusplus look forward to seeing you there xp3rthamm0r
Ill use the web version for now as im on the ipad but ill download hexchat once on windows.

C u guys there
I used to use Xchat 24/7, but not been on it in over a year (my personality doesn't mesh well with others -- as has been proven here time and time again). I'd recommend Xchat for Windows and Linux, but web based IRCs like the webchat link above are good for those computers (school) where you can't install an IRC client on them.
Thank u BHX. Gonna check it out.
Don't forget: there's also HexChat: http://hexchat.github.io/
First time I've ever heard of HexChat so I can't really comment on how good it is or anything. I think IRSSI, mIRC, and XChat are the only ones I've ever tried.
From the website:
HexChat is an IRC client based on XChat, but unlike XChat it’s completely free for both Windows and Unix-like systems.
TIL. Looks like I'll be switching from x to HexChat when my trial runs out on windows.
hexchats ok, but it has its issues
Do you know of an IRC client that doesn't have issues?
kiwiirc. if it wasnt a webbased client it would be perfect
Got both HexChat and Xchat but hex was better for me(they were like the same)
Little Bobby Tables wrote:
kiwiirc. if it wasnt a webbased client it would be perfect

Wouldn't that make it have issues? ;)
HexChat is a fork of Xchat, so they are pretty similar. I prefer XChat though.
BHX: its not really an issue. its more firefox doesnt like my operating system. if i wasnt so lazy i could probably build the php source into a client. or instead of bitching about software people have worked hard on i guess i could write my own, but oh well....
Firefox doesn't like your OS? What on earth are you running?
sorry i meant my laptop. im running linux mint. my laptop has crappy hardware in it though
Heh. I can sympathize with that. My laptop is old and crappy too.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.