Potentially getting a tattoo

Pages: 12
I've wanted one for a long time, but decided from the start that it would have to definitively be me. Something I can say with 100% certainty I would never 'grow out of'. I've finally come to a decision.

I'm getting a tattoo of a Glider (Conway's glider) with a lambda calculus expression underneath it. λ -> λ.

The question is, where should I get it? It's going to be small, and it will not be somewhere visible while wearing clothing. Any suggestions?
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
I drew some test tattoos with a pen before I got my permanent ones. If you can't reach the spot yourself, your significant other can. Ink, rinse, repeat til you're sure. (I've had mine for 5 years with no regrets whatsoever, by the way.)
Last edited on
No significant other here!

And, I'm thinking center of my shoulder blades.
I don't understand tattoos. They're almost always a bad idea and are almost always ugly. I could understand the appeal when they were seen as something rebellious like 20 years ago... but these days practically everyone has a tattoo and getting one is largely conformist. It's actually more rebellious to not get a tattoo.

Before getting one, I recommend you think very strongly about the below points:

1) How old are you? If you're below 25, don't get one. Teenagers and young adults are still developing their personality and building their life.... and you probably don't want to put a permanent mark on your body that will no longer be relevant in 5 years.

2) Tattoos make you look unprofessional. Not having one in a visible part of your body is a huge leg up for job interviews... and just for how people view and treat you in general (we're a very superficial society, and "clean cut" makes people feel better and respond to you better than "covered in tattoos")

3) But if you're not going to put it in a viewable place... why bother getting one at all? Unless you're going around shirtless all the time, how often are people even going to see this tattoo between your shoulder blades? Hell... you're not even going to see it. What's the point?

There are definitely cons to having a tattoo. And there aren't very many pros. Considering it's a permanent thing that you actually have to pay money for -- I really recommend you strongly think about it and make sure it's worth it, rather than just getting one because you think it's cool.
Leviticus 19:28 Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos

~Believe.
Yeah i agree with Disch, Tattoos does make you look unprofessional but if getting one makes you happy then do it. Also respect to MultiMedia^^
Last edited on
Don't start MultiMedia... you saw what happened in your previous thread how they went apeshit and start debating about law being white and black and yellow. Now they will likely start debating about religion lol
What da... i had absolutely nothing to do with the debate i didn't mention anything about the law. You're making me look like a troll now :p
@Disch, @Cheraphy
To add to Disch's point -- think about when you are older. Your skin will eventually lose its elasticity and as it does the tattoo will not look the same as you get older. If the tattoo artist isn't any good, you won't know until he is done and then it will be too late. Ever watched the series Bad Ink? That show has a lot of people on it that got a tattoo and showcases just some of the mistakes that can happen with getting a tattoo; typos, symmetry being off, not looking like the template you picked, etc. Not to mention tattoo removal costs more than getting the tattoo so if you end up hating it you will be stuck with it forever or until you can find a good coverup tattoo artist.
Last edited on
1) Leviticus is irellevent. I'm an atheist.

2) I don't wear a shirt in the apartment or around the neighborhood, though I'm also considering high up on my shoulder, where it would be covered by sleeves.

3) I'm 22. This is something I've wanted to do since I was 16. One stipulation is I need to look at the drawing on paper 3 years from now and not think it was stupid, I decided that when I was 16. So, I'll be 25 then. If I still like how it looks then, I'll get it done. If not, I'll have avoided pain and something stupid.

4) A lot of my friends are either tattoo artists who have lots of ink done. I know where to go and who to talk to to get a good artist to do my tattoo.
Last edited on
Leviticus is irellevent. I'm an atheist.

Sometimes it's good to think outside the box, that's all i have to say.
1) Leviticus is irellevent. I'm an atheist.

I agree. Don't do anything based on Leviticus.

2) I don't wear a shirt in the apartment or around the neighborhood

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? I typically don't see shirtless guys unless I'm at a beach. Then again I don't exactly live in a tropical climate.

3) I'm 22.

Don't get one. You're too young.

25 isn't like a magic cutoff number or anything... I just pulled that number out of my ass. But my point is... you're probably not who you are yet. That might sound weird, but it's true.

I can't tell you how many mature adults (not to say you're not mature or not an adult -- but I mean people like 35+) say they are different people now than they were when they were younger.

Seriously... ask your parents. Ask any older people you know. People change. It's reality. You're no exception -- you will probably change.

EDIT:
So, I'll be 25 then. If I still like how it looks then, I'll get it done.

If you haven't had a significant lifestyle change in those 3 years (ie: gotten very serious with someone, gotten what you think could be a lifelong career, had a kid, etc) then wait longer. You aren't "whole" yet.

If you have... or if you are sure you are where you're going to be and/or are sure you are who you will always be... and you still want the tattoo... then go for it.
/EDIT

This is something I've wanted to do since I was 16

This scares me. It makes it sound like this is just a teenage fantasy you haven't shed yet. You will have very few of these left (if any at all) when you're in your 30s. This sounds like a recipe for regret.

Of course... this is coming from someone with heavy bias. I hate tattoos and think they're extremely ugly. Smooth skin is beautiful and sexy -- why would anyone want to ruin that by marking themselves up? So yeah... take my advice with a grain of salt.

On a side note... and to support my earlier point... you'll notice that people over 30 don't usually get new tattoos unless they're "tattoo people" and are really into it (like the people that cover their whole body).

That's no coincidence. Tattoos are a young thing. Young people think they're cool and get them. Older people know better.
Last edited on
by the way if it's not gonna be visible while wearing clothing then what's the point of having it? unless it's something personal then i should remain quiet but usually people who gets tattoos are not ashamed to show it.
@Disch
I have a friend who has a lot of tattoos, but regrets getting every one of them. Even more so now that he married a woman with a son. A few months bad his step-son asked if he would remove the tattoos so he could be his real dad. My friend has been torn up since.

[EDIT]Typos
Last edited on
@BHX: I'm not surprised. I'm sure there are more people who regret tattoos they got when they were younger than there are people who regret not getting one.

Some people regret them and some people don't.

The problem is... and my point is.... when you're young, you have absolutely no way of knowing which one you'll be. It's better to wait.

Tattoos can sometimes mean a significant point in life that you'd like to visually represent. Not everyone gets them simply because they look cool.
That's a half-truth.

A ring works just as well for symbolism. The only reason to get a tattoo is vanity.
closed account (oSGzwA7f)
My father was covered in tattoos and he was born in 1937. He only regretted the non-original ones, and one of a girl's name. The girl's name he covered with an eagle tattoo before I was born.

I hate them, and I hated his too. When I was young my friends would come over and ask him to make the girl on his forearm dance.

I told my children to never get a tattoo. All three of them have tattoos. My eldest son has only a few that can always be covered. My second son is in the Coast Guard and only gets classic tattoos. My daughter is covered--she has multiple bad tattoos which she has had to have covered by other tattoos. All three children say they don't regret them, and all three are over 25.

Tattoos mark you (this is obvious but cannot be over stated) they tell the world who you were at a point in time. Even if you change people will know a little about who you use to be.
It's not a half-truth at all. It's just one preference over the other. Rings also carry less risk, so I can argue they have more monetary value than emotional value.
@all

I'm probably not going to get one after reading this thread. Specifically this;

disch wrote:
This scares me. It makes it sound like this is just a teenage fantasy you haven't shed yet. You will have very few of these left (if any at all) when you're in your 30s.
Pages: 12