Got my First Programming Interview

Hi all,

Got my first programming interview (on Friday) - Just wanted to see what I should know before going in. I'm not sure if it's a C# or Java shop, but they definitely want you to know one of the major OOP languages.

Just for a little background, I completed my first year of my Computer Science A.S. degree at a CC (have been programming for over 1.5 years), and will transfer to a 4-year University after this upcoming year.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I think that once I eventually break through to a job, future interviews/jobs will be a lot easier to come by.

Last edited on
Hopefully they won't be expecting a whole lot given your experience level. So just be honest with where you are at. If you can't answer a question, just say so.

Research the place you are interviewing at. Get to know the company and what they're all about. If they sell products, look them up. If they sell services, look those up and who uses them. Knowing about the company looks great in an interview. If you go in and know nothing about who they are, what they do, and what they work with, you will probably not get the job.

Go in with some questions to ask them also. An interview should not be a one-sided conversation.
ResidentBiscuit knows what hes talking about, dress nice and bring your laptop to show off side projects outside of school (which i hope you did)
closed account (13bSLyTq)
As @Jakee, rightly said dressing nice is important.

FACT: Did you know subconsciously Experienced Interviewers, make their first-impression based on cleanliness of the shoes to decide on personality of the interviewee. Make sure to clean your shoes and make them nice and neat!

Furthermore, As @Jakee said about projects it will make you look extremely nice and will show off your skill.

Next, I wish you a good luck on your first interview!

My advice is for you to act enthusiastically and answer all the question, however if you are not sure to answer it just let it go and don't make a big deal out of it as if you do it will make the Interviewer think that you were not prepared and you will highlight your weaknesses which is unintended.

As always good luck!
Just an update, I ended up waiting a long time in between interviews, but I think they went Ok. I got a call for them to schedule the second interview (will be on Thursday).

The office is probably the ugliest office I've ever seen (It's a Network Operations Center), and I've worked at/visited many offices - the bathroom is especially bad. But I guess you have to bite the bullet and deal with it for the first job.
Last edited on
Just to update, I did not get the job...

I have another programming interview, though. It is more of a front end web dev. job. Job utilizes front end technologies like JavaScript, ASP.NET, MySQL, HTML/CSS, etc. Not the greatest pay, but entry level.
Trying to get a job can be really tough on the soul. Keep your head up.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.