Starting Windows programming

Pages: 12
I'm a complete newbie to windows programming and know a little bit of C++. I want to start Windows programming. I'd be glad if someone suggested me, how to start windows programming/some tutorials that I can refer.
Thank you.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Learn to Program for Windows in C++
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/ff381399(v=vs.85).aspx
Thank you! :)
Here is a really good source:
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

It is the only *good* thing I have found on UI programming (for now). I really recommend it
Here is a really good source:
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Thank you, will look at it.
I cannot suggest MSDN enough for anyone trying to learn C\C++ for Windows. The one draw back that will constantly get on your nerves is their tendency to move things around, this will leave your bookmarks, and even parts or their site, full of broken links and once in a great while you'll need to reference the documentation on something before your favorite search engine has gotten around to indexing the new page (semi-pro tip: use the search engines cache feature when this happens). This never means that they are burying that documentation, it almost always means some intern isn't working fast enough and the issue gets fixed a day or so. Beyond that, nothing out there is as well documented as the WinAPI.

Just remember that they WinAPI is targeted at C not C++. So if you think that there is a better way to do something then they have in the tutorials then try it; and come back here if you hit a snag.
So if you think that there is a better way to do something then they have in the tutorials then try it; and come back here if you hit a snag.

Yep, I've started experimenting with stuff, will surely post here if I get stuck or need some help. Thanks for your help though =)
I very strongly agree with Computergeek01. I usually don't use MSDN unless I google a method or something and it links me to it. The site is really hard to navigate.

There aren't many good tutorials on Youtube for just plain WinAPI, so what I did is use that link I sent and I actually bought several books (not trying to sell you anything, just telling you what I did).

Anyway, good luck with your programming ventures :)
so what I did is use that link I sent and I actually bought several books

If you don't mind, can you name a few of them?
Also can you tell me, what do you use instead of MSDN.
And thank you. :)
Last edited on
The reason MSDN is so hard to navigate is because their goal was to divide the Windows API into as many vaguely named categories as possible.
Last edited on
Ya, that's true.
I personally don't find it all that hard to navigate. Google will take you right to the function your want or else all of the functions related to a certain implementation of a task are all in the same area. MSDN is enormous but that's to be expected for a reference site that contains the documentation of every published function across several operating systems.
Google helps as lot but the problem here is MSDN is so vast that, at this stage, I don't know any functions. So I need something from which I can actually start from scratch and learn gradually. Once I know certain functions it'd be easier to navigate. But as a newbie, I find it difficult.
Since you're here I'll assume you want to learn to write C++. I would suggest you hold off on the microsoft products (MSVC++, etc...) until you know more about the language. They tend to use C++/CLI by default (and don't tell you...), which can be confusing for a beginner. I would recommend learning C++ first (MinGW and Cygwin are two compilers that come to mind), and then learning GUI.
Since you're here I'll assume you want to learn to write C++. I would suggest you hold off on the microsoft products (MSVC++, etc...) until you know more about the language. They tend to use C++/CLI by default (and don't tell you...), which can be confusing for a beginner.
What? No?

When was the last time you used a Microsoft IDE? Lol.
@Avilius:

The last time I used a MS IDE was a short time: I was only starting C++, and I needed an IDE. Being ignorant, I struggled to get the infernal thing to work, and eventually trashed it for a more preferrable alternative: CodeBlocks. I never used a M$ IDe after that.

Take it from me: For a beginner learning how to code, Microsoft products will only confuse you.
I just don't see where the IDE defaults with MFC. I don't find Visual Studio harder to use at all. I can honestly say I had a better time dealing with Visual Studio than I did with Codeblocks. I prefer the interface and ease of use over the other solutions.
I'm using Visual Studio with the Windows snapshots of LLVM/Clang and loving it because I can use Clang 3.6 and C++1y with Visual Studio's editor.

EDIT: Did I say C++1y? I mean C++1z.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Take it from me: For a beginner learning how to code, Microsoft products will only confuse you.
Horses for courses. Just because you have trouble doesn't mean everyone will.
@Grey Wolf

That's fine. I'm only pointing out that MSVC++ can be confusing for beginners. It might, or it might not have been for you, but imo it's easier to skip the part where you figure out if it's difficult, and just go straight for the IDE you know you'll understand.

If the OP wishes to use MSVC++ because he/she thinks that it's not a problem, then that's their choice. All I did was make a suggestion based on my experience. It's just one man's opinion.
Pages: 12