School is Odd...

While I've always been dissatisfied with US school programs since the 4th grade, I've recently begun thinking about how odd our school actually is.

For instance, my parents taught my zero. My childhood is complicated so I don't entirely blame them but that puts me in a tough bind. Things like washing clothing, cooking, safe cleaning habits, and self preservation are not really things I was taught.

But oddly, these are things that everyone needs to know. Why aren't they taught in public/private schools? I distinctly remember my step-father asking me to tie a trash bag... to which I responded I didn't know how. He was surprised I didn't know how to tie a trash bag, even though he ironically should have been the one who taught me. Did he expect things like that to be taught in public school?

Why aren't basic life necessities taught in public school? Shouldn't that be the sole purpose of it, even more so than say physics or foreign history?
School isn't to teach kids how to take care of themselves, it's there to give them the foundation for higher education, and for life.

These aren't things a school is obligated to teach kids, and they are not things that schools should be obligated to teach. If someone is a bad parent, you can't blame the schools for it.
Last edited on
I can't speak to private school... but in my experience, public school is primarily about 3 things. In no particular order:

1) Getting the kids out of the parent's hair.
2) Forcing social interaction with peers to learn how to get along
3) Teaching how to maneuver the system

The actual subject matter takes a back seat. I was in "Advanced Placement" classes throughout my public education and I didn't learn a damn thing except for algebra.
I was in mostly AP classes too and the only thing I ever struggled with was remembering to actually do homework. I still struggle with homework to this day in college, yet out of two college semesters I am still mostly self taught and have had to correct my teachers when I couldn't restrain myself.
I was fortunate enough to be in a better school district. I was taking "college level" courses during my freshman year of highschool. :\

Suffice it to say, it was challenging. :) We build a cardboard chair in Intro to Engineering, and "beta testing" consisted of the prof sitting in your chair. If it fell apart, you had to completely scrap your project and start all over again... That was the final project, though, and it was worth 60% of our grade. We designed other things, and built them, like a puzzle block, a marble-maze, and a few other things...

Intro to CAD was another interesting course as well, but I won't reminisce about that.
Last edited on
Things like washing clothing, ...

STORY TIME:
Back at my mothers house, the washing machine has a large dent on the front from the first time I tried to wash my own cloths in it, I think I was 20. We have it sitting up on a pallet because occasionally the basement floods and that's what killed the last washer. I had somehow overbalanced the load in it or something and it started jumping around on the pallet, then at some point it jumps straight up into the air and face plants it self on the ground spilling its contents everywhere. That was the last day I was allowed to do my own laundry until I moved out. Ah childhood, good times.

I want to mention that neither your parents or your school are adequate to teach you self preservation. That is your siblings job.

1) Getting the kids out of the parent's hair.

I know what you're saying here Disch, but I'll never understand that mindset. Maybe my kids just more fun to be around then others.

School isn't to teach kids how to take care of themselves, it's there to give them the foundation for higher education, and for life.

This one is just too funny.
I know what you're saying here Disch, but I'll never understand that mindset. Maybe my kids just more fun to be around then others.

So there's never a time where you just feel like you need a break from your kids?

Ever?
So there's never a time where you just feel like you need a break from your kids?

I only have the one so that probably factors into it, I know when either of her cousins are around I can feel my patience wearing out faster then usual. There are rare occasions when her energy gets to be a bit too much; but I would say far more often then not I would rather be hanging out with my daughter then doing other things.
I think school is about pumping out a workforce in yearly batches and teaching children how to think is not a priority to back this up look at how your examined;

Often you are placed under pressure and expected to do a certain amount of work, they want the answers and not how you came up with them and the most successful students are the most productive and not the most intelligent, this only really benefits large industries and no other part of society.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.