Diffrence Between A Geek And A Nerd

Pages: 12
Hey guys,

I was wondering whats the difference between a Geek and a Nerd, because I get called them both and I would like to correct them with the right one. I think I am a Geek I am not entirely sure tho so please help!
The term varies by who uses them... so other people's opinions as to what they mean generally don't matter. What matters is what the person calling you a geek/nerd means by it. Either way... don't correct them.

The two terms are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see, well okay then, i guess i got confused. Thanks anyway Disch
For me geek = lots of time on computer and nerd = lots of time studying/reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tvy_Pbe5NA
@giblit:

You can be a comic book geek and spend zero time at a computer.

EDIT:

Either way... geek/nerd is better than "hipster"
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
What is the difference between a Geek and a Nerd? Style.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

According to this they are vastly different? But yet similar intellectually.
What is the difference between a Geek and a Nerd? Style.

This is kind of how a feel. Anyone can be a nerd (and probably everybody is in someway) but what makes you a geek is how you present yourself.

How is everyone a nerd? Just because you spend a lot of doing "cool" stuff, doesn't mean you're not a nerd. Just means you're a nerd for that "cool" stuff. To not be a nerd would mean you are boring and have zero hobbies.
Geek 100-ever!
I think a geek is obsessed with technical type stuff specifically, while a nerd is obsessed with less technical, but still introvert oriented, stuff.

For example, if you are obsessed with some niche history topic, that could make you a nerd, but it doesn't make you a geek.
Not factual, but I just get a kick out of the dictionary.com terms. For the record I consider both of them to be compliments because they both (to me) mean the person knows their stuff that they are a geek/nerd for (computer geek/nerd, programming geek/nerd, etc.)
Dictionary wrote:

nerd
noun, Slang.
a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit:
a computer nerd.
Dictionary wrote:

geek
noun
a digital-technology expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often used disparagingly by others).
a person who has excessive enthusiasm for and some expertise about a specialized subject or activity:
a foreign-film geek.
a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
verb (used without object)
to be overexcited about a specialized subject or activity, or to talk about it with excessive enthusiasm (usually followed by out):
I could geek out about sci-fi for hours.
Last edited on
I have always viewed being a geek as being an enthusiast for something.

You could be a music geek, movie geek, programming geek, Star Wars geek, cars geek, sports geek, computer hardware geek, history geek, etc.

A nerd is someone that is "intellectually talented". Now that phrase can be subjective and different people can view it differently. By "intellectually talented", I mean academically gifted.

Talented in Math, Science(Physics, Chemistry, Biology), History, etc. A nerd can be a well rounded individual in that they might be knowledgeable in many of the listed subjects.

A nerd can be a geek, but a geek is not always a nerd.

This is how I view it anyway.
Wow loads of replies,

For me geek = lots of time on computer and nerd = lots of time studying/reading.

I always thought that as well, but i guess some people think differently to others on this situation

I agree with Czar05, hitrwin, ResidentBiscuit, giblit and Disch

Thanks for all your replies guys. I actually understand the terms Geek and Nerd now :P
@ BHX: Number 4 for "Geek" is why I chose my handle. I like the juxtaposition of that definition with all of the others which more or less can be seen to center around the same type of idea.
As far as I'm concerned they can both be used interchangeably and refer to a decent intellectual knowledge within a particular field, or a significant amount of time partaking in a particular activity...

Computer geek vs computer nerd
Anime geek vs anime nerd
Sci-fi geek vs sci-fi nerd

If the terms geek or nerd are used just on their own I think that I tend to see them both as meaning generally intelligent.
Nerds geek out.

I like how this thread is marked as solved.
Last edited on
Steve Wozniak -> Geek
Bill Gates -> Nerd
I think im like this third thing that exists, wonder what to call it?

what if you know your computer stuff but your style isnt geek and your so sexy girls lie about not having boyfriends at work and your from the country in the city and all you really care about is REVENGE?

EDIT: I just checked, im so damned sexy I might have to start its own thread.
Last edited on
Pages: 12