Ive seen footage of american police, whats going on in america??

Pages: 12345
To be honest, I hate the condescending mentality and attitude I'm greeted with. I really don't think anybody should walk up to me and look down on me, especially if I've done nothing wrong.

I have issues with authority.
I have issues with authority.
This may be an issue if you want a job that isn't independent of a company.
a thief got killed by a police officer, and blacks call police officer racist. Typical.
to sum it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wozf4a7qL0
Well, I don't recall thievery being death worthy.
Depends on what you steal and where you live.
And how you act to the police who try to apprehend you.
To be honest, I hate the condescending mentality and attitude I'm greeted with. I really don't think anybody should walk up to me and look down on me, especially if I've done nothing wrong.

I can understand that.

Driving to work one day with my ol' lady and her kid got stopped and by the time the deputy got to my door three more cars showed up. "I stopped you because you have a cracked windshield, no seat belts, and no tag light". It was around 5:00 A.M. so how did he see the cracked windshield? Never mind that my truck was exempt from seat belt laws, there was no way to know without looking inside the truck first. No tag light, yes, but does that warrant four cars? Then he starts with the "where are you coming from", "where are you going" crap I got as a teenager. This now coming from someone half my age. Then departs with "have a good night".

Another Time I was stopped for speeding, was not paying attention to my speed or the speed limit and just following the line, but I saw I was speeding when I looked at the speedometer. Do I get a ticket and sent on my way, no. He wants to search my truck and I tell him no. Time to call in the dog who when he gets there "signals". After emptying my pockets and the deputy rifling trough my truck they find nothing. Then they claim that the dog's nose was so sensitive that he could detect drugs even if I had had a passenger with some in his pocket ride with me in the last couple months.

Walking to the store one night a sheriff stops and after taking the spotlight out of my face we have a reasonable conversation ending with "glad to see you are not driving". After leaving the store, a different one passes me, turns around and starts shouting that he almost hit me and I shouldn't be out on the road.

I have no shortage of similar stories.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Generally speaking the only people that I know to have issues with law enforcement are on the bad side of the law, consistently challenging all authorities: druggies, drunk drivers, petty thieves, etc...

In all of the recent cases there have been causes (however little it may seem on the surface) to first attract suspicion and second stepping over the thin red line. Seriously...its like McDonalds getting sued for selling hot coffee. What did you think would happen if you come at a cop with a deadly weapon?

Don't screw around with cops and you have no problems. Push the line and you might end up dead. Criminals don't deserve to get pampered by law enforcement.

$.02
@ Luc Lieber: Are you white?
Yes, and I also do not break the law, use illegal drugs, or drive under the influence. Race is not a factor in the raw, bare bones facts. It does not matter what color someone is if they have robbed a store, are out in a hoodie in the middle of the night in "drug country", or approach a cop with a knife.

Pull a racist card if you want, but I'm a realist not an idealist. And apparently a poet.

* The problem as I see it is not one of color, but of a mindset. There are black men who share my views just as there are white men who oppose them. Then again, those black men are wearing suits and come home to loving families while the whites are druggies wearing hoodies. Sort of see what I mean? Color is not the deciding factor.
Last edited on
I'm a realist
First thing that came to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHr7itwVsMc

I also agree with what you are saying Lub Lieber I think its just a mindset people have that often run into problems with the law. Or people that just like to cherry pick things they find in the news, even though the news already cherry picks things.
Last edited on
@ Luc Lieber, you sound like a Nazi even though you claim to not be prejudiced.

The problem is not with "if" someone committed a crime, but in the way people are accused of it regardless of their guilt. You are either very far from being a realist or very far from reality.
if they have robbed a store, are out in a hoodie in the middle of the night in "drug country"

Did it ever cross your mind that not everyone with a "hoodie" regardless of the time of day or the area committed a crime? It is that very attitude that starts these problems that result in riots.

If you do not conform to the ideal, you will have problems? That might work in other countries, but America is all about free expression, free speech, and a whole lot of other freedoms. It is the exact attitude that a citizen should conform to someone's ideal standards once again that causes most of the problems.

The only point I agree with you on is that race is not the only factor.
@ Luc Lieber, you sound like a Nazi even though you claim to not be prejudiced.
What parts remotely resembles being a Nazi?
@admkirk - I can only go by what I have personally seen. Hoodies and sketchy surroundings = druggies and criminals, statistically speaking. It doesn't get any more real than that.

Guess I'm the new Nazi leader against druggies, thieves, and scumbags. Title accepted. Maybe I'll have better luck fighting the losing battle than the law enforcement that is criticized for even trying to.

* Bluntly: if someone acts the profile, they are only asking for trouble in today's system. Period.

**Ah - I never claimed to not be prejudiced. I'm just not prejudiced on a basis of race or skin color to set things accurately.
Last edited on
Luc Leiber wrote:
Race is not a factor in the raw, bare bones facts.

I find it strange that you make this statement in the same post that you claim to be a realist. To claim that racism either doesn't exist or doesn't impact how police treat the people they interact with is either completely ignorant or extremely idealist.

While race is not the only factor, it certainly is a significant part of it.

I have never heard any black man, in public or in private, discuss this topic and share your views. Admittedly I don't interact with many black people in person, as I live in the pacific northwest where it is extremely white.

Here's the thing... you have lived your entire life as a white man in a society that treats white men better than everyone else. We get paid more... it's easier for us to get jobs... we don't have a negative stigma attached to us that instills fear in people.... the list goes on and on and on.

There are black men who share my views

I don't doubt this... but as I've said... I've never heard this. Can you link me to a youtube video or something where a black man is making this case? I can probably link you to a dozen where they make mine.

I'm almost positive that any black man that supports your view was born wealthy. But even then....

Once again I have to link to the video with Levar Burton and others talking on this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ckDJ3xTaE

EDIT:

One of the takeaways from that video:

White parents teach their kids to be respectful to police.
Black parents teach their kids to show their hands and be non-threatening.

Don Lemon's comments are also pretty enlightening.

EDIT2:

Here's another one where actors (one white and one black) are stealing a bike in broad daylight in public in order to gauge the public response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7i60GuNRg
Last edited on
Those statistics would be skewed since it doesn't include normal people with hoodies in sketchy surroundings.

You've literally labeled people you don't even know druggies, thieves, and scumbags, based on nothing more than hoodies and their surroundings.

EDIT: Druggies, thieves, and scumbags don't deserve to be shot.
Last edited on
@Noxema - based on the representative sample of my small slice of America. Its called profiling. Impossible to find statistical proof of its effectiveness in practice, but it makes sense to me. I don't see John down the street with his wife and 4 kids robbing stores, but rather heroin addicts wearing literally rags. Heroin is a huge problem around here...and the users are very easy to spot at a glance.

@Disch - Yes those black men are wealthy -- and they don't break the law, do drugs, etc...furthermore I doubt that they would even want to come forward on the internet due to how much of a minority they represent on the subject. Humans are like chickens - the many peck the smaller and fewer to death.

Am I living in a weird part of America that's so different from the rest? Its not a very complicated argument that I make.

*1 Druggies, thieves, and scumbags most definitely do deserve to be shot if they come at an officer with a knife as we have seen in the news recently.
Last edited on
Am I living in a weird part of America that's so different from the rest? Its not a very complicated argument that I make.

Where do you live? I don't need specifics... just a state or region would be nice. I've lived in Wisconsin, Maryland, Arkansas, California, and Washington state -- and with the exception of WA (which is extremely white), the racial tension in all areas has been noticeable.

But it's not that it's complicated... it's that it doesn't jive with everything I've witnessed in reality. Not only that... but it makes extreme leaps of faith for you to make that claim. I mean in order for that to be true, you effectively have to be asserting that there are no racist cops anywhere -- and that's freaking insane -- there clearly are.

Of course not ALL cops are racist... but there's a chunk of them that are.

Seriously, watch that first video with Levar Burton.

EDIT:
@Disch - Yes those black men are wealthy -- and they don't break the law, do drugs, etc...

Wealthy get treated differently than everyone else. Can I ask you this... are you wealthy? And were you born wealthy? That might explain your views -- you might be in the Romney Bubbletm.
Last edited on
@Disch I am from central Pennsylvania, the heart of heroin country. I was not born wealthy nor am I, making a meager $38,000 anually between two jobs.

How is race related to my argument of a particular mindset (hoodies / sketchy surroundings) being a sound grounds for profiling again?

* I have lost good friends to heroin and have seen what the scene looks like up close. Race is definitely not the biggest indication of guilt in this area...
Okay. Thanks for answering @ Luc Leiber. =)

I wasn't really commenting on your profiling comment... I was commenting on your "race is not a factor" comment.
Pages: 12345