Help with internet?

So, being on the other side of the house with an always-on-the-internet mother and brother, my internet is inconceivably bad.
I looked up on my tablet (very briefly - I hate googling on that thing) if I could somehow hook up my computer into a coax outlet. Probably impossible, but I figured if a modem does it, can a computer do it.
As of right now, my computer is hooked up to a WiFI extender connected to a modem across the house, since my computer doesn't have a network chip because I built it with a frugal budget, and it has to be hooked up for internet. I am also considering getting a router, put it in my room, then connect it to the extender that is now placed in the middle of the house that is connected to that modem.

Yes, putting the main modem in my room in general is the best solution, but I tried that and my high maintenance brother (who very much likes to kick my ass for the dumbest reasons) couldn't connect his phone to it, so I had to go through massive stress that night. We compromised (or should I say argued and I lost) and now the extender is in my room unable to connect half the time. So really, my question is internet help. I will take whatever I can take - I am quite desperate.

Note: I usually write in organized paragraphs, but I had to type this out on my tablet. Sorry, and I will fix it when I can get my computer back on the network.

EDIT: Organized text into a more readable form.
Last edited on
I looked up on my tablet (very briefly - I hate googling on that thing) if I could somehow hook up my computer into a coax outlet. Probably impossible, but I figured if a modem does it, can a computer do it.
You'd need some sort of cable modem card, which I've never heard of. And I don't think your ISP would allow two modems to use the same Internet account at the same time.

Can't you just run an Ethernet cable from the modem/router to your computer? That seems like the easiest and cheapest alternative.
I could, but like I said, I am on the other side of the house. It would be way too much of a hassle to go across the house (my house is really open, so the walls are pretty out of the way), up stairs, and to the router. I am already connected via ethernet to the extender, but that obviously isn't working haha.
Putting multiple modems on a single coaxial will cause issues with reflection. The solution is like helios said, to run a Cat 5\6 across the house.

It would be way too much of a hassle to go across the house (my house is really open, so the walls are pretty out of the way), up stairs, and to the router.

This isn't as much trouble as you imagine. I do this every few months as part of my job in an office that is likely noticeably larger then your house. You wouldn't be going up the stairs though... Going across multiple floors is your biggest problem. Even if you staple the cable to the wall; going up the stairs introduces a tripping hazard and regardless of other factors this is an unacceptable risk (however running along the inside of the trim might be an option worth investigating). Doing this correctly requires drilling through the floor (at the seam where the floor meets the wall) so you parents probably won't approve.

You don't necessarily need the wireless modem in your room per say. But in a multiple story house it really should be centered on the second floor. Radio waves propagate in a sphere so anything else is a waste.
Last edited on
I have a "powerline" in my room, the thing works like a charm.

http://www.belkin.com/networking/powerline/what-is-powerline/
[quoteI have a "powerline" in my room, the thing works like a charm.][/quote]
This is what I have connected to my computer:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3500RP.aspx
This... "thing"... is a disgrace to networking. My parents spent a hundred dollars on it, and that was clearly a giant waste of money.

And I thank you so much for that suggestion, because after doing some research, this seems like the solution to my little dilemma. I found the same one you linked to on Amazon for about 60% off, do you guys think it is a scam or just one of those amazing Amazon deals?
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Powerline-Network-adapters-included/dp/B005O0R9UA

Imagine you and your friend want to communicate by signal lamps, but there's a mountain in the way. You decide to place a mirror so you can see each other's signals. Do you place this mirror next to your house, or up on the mountain?
Same principle. The repeater needs to be within range of the original signal.
Do you mean the repeater as in the powerline thing?
Think about that one OP. The function of the "powerline thing" doesn't really fit with his analogy; does it?
No... no it doesn't now that I think about it. I didn't read that at all when I posted, just skimmed through it. No, but after reading it, I see that he meant the mirror as a modem, and that the "mirror" would be easier to reach by the both of us.

I like the anology, helios. I never mentioned that, but for some reason the electricians that initially worked on our house put one Coax input in the middle of the house (in the family room), in which we have to use for the TV. All the other ones are on different sides of the house, and I am using the only one on my side for a TV, and the other side of the house there are three, two of which are TVs (one my brothers, other is the loft -- we have too many TVs) and the other is where the modem is. We have one option, and it is already in use. So, thanks for the metaphor helios, but sadly that isn't an option for me.

Anyway, like I said I may go with the powerline thing. That looks promising.
I don't know much about cable internet, but can't you just run a splitter off that coax in your family room? Then you run the TV and Internet off that one coax connection. One split shouldn't cause any noticeable degradation.
The mirror is the range extender. If you put it next to your computer, it won't get enough signal to repeat the signal from the modem.

EDIT: Another alternative would be to put a wireless router within range of the main WiFi signal and connect your computer to it through Ethernet. That would be sort of a compromise solution. You wouldn't need to go up stairs with the cable, you'd just need to get the router close enough to get acceptable signal.
Last edited on
I don't know much about cable internet, but can't you just run a splitter off that coax in your family room?
Yes, you can that is what I was doing when I had cable. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=coax+splitter
If you put it next to your computer, it won't get enough signal to repeat the signal from the modem

Not entirely true. The repeater likely has a much stronger receiver than any device he'd be using, so it might work in his room.

Rereading this post, it sounds like OP has a repeater in the middle of the house already? I'm just confused now.
I don't know much about cable internet, but can't you just run a splitter off that coax in your family room? Then you run the TV and Internet off that one coax connection. One split shouldn't cause any noticeable degradation.

Ah, yes. I tried that, and eventually stopped working. I don't know what it was, but the splitter was just not working. I have tried 3 different ones. They work for the first hour, then stop working, as if they short out or something.

Rereading this post, it sounds like OP has a repeater in the middle of the house already? I'm just confused now.

Sorry about any confusion I am causing, so lemme clear some stuff up:
> i DO have a repeater, but it is hooked up to my computer across the house. Like I said, I never put a wifi card in my computer when I built it, and personally I like wired connections a billion times more than wifi.
> I just said this in the post, but I will repeat it - I tried a splitter, but didn't work.

Another alternative would be to put a wireless router within range of the main WiFi signal and connect your computer to it through Ethernet

When I was clearing stuff up (up ^), I said that I have to have a wired connection to have internet, so, yeah. That can't work.
You could always just spend 10 dollars and get a very cheap wireless card though running a cat5/6 would probably be the fastest since it would be directly connected to the modem. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20wireless%20adapter&sprefix=usb+wi%2Caps
Ooh I get it now. What you need a wireless bridge. Or invest in a wifi card, which would be a lot cheaper. But if you really want a wired connection (I dont blame you), then yeah you're going to need some equipment.

If you have a basement, you could run a cable from your router into the basement, across the house, then up to your room. Max length for a ethernet cable 100m (~300 feet), so that could work depending on how far away the router is from your room.
Thanks for all the suggestions!, the USB wireless adapter looks like a good idea, but all in all (it seems like I am super fixed on this, but I am not), so far the powerline networking idea seems the best. These are all good ideas I agree.

ResidentBiscuit, my house is really open in the middle, so the walls are really out of the way. Sure, my side of the house to the other is around... (huge guess) 200 ft? I have no idea, but the walls would make so many turns and everything, and as most of you have heard before, "the fastest route is a straight line". And, I don't have a basement. My dad would hate the idea of having to go under the house just to run a cord.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.