Books...

I have a hatred for novels but i love scientific, philosophic, political, physiological, theoritical physic and math books. Finding these kind of books is hard.

I like reading books and i want you to give me advices.

Why not go to a book forum? Because those book forums is filled with people who reads novels(only probably), mainly fictional.

So with some hope i come to this forum.

I had many thought, hope i expressed myself decently.

Can you give me any advices, please? Thanks in advance.
Last edited on
I've tried reading The lord of the rings trilogy and hobbit (got to chapter 2), but I have read most my programming books cover to cover in a matter of days. As for where to find books for your interest, that is hard because, just like programming books; there are poor and good books, but hard to find them because not many have readily available reviews.
Yes, it is a great pain. Especially when you come across a thick book that you have to read but it has great amount of unnecessary instruction.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Go to your local library[*] and ask a librarian. If you are lucky they will have staff that are knowledgeable in the areas that they oversee.

I usually find it easy to find good books that way.

http://www.it-book-recommendations.com/departments/os%20design%20and%20theory/index.html
Thanks for the link.

Still books related to my specifications would be nicer.

EDIT: Sorry @Grey Wolf i didn't see your post

Will try that for sure.
Last edited on
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

A Universe from Nothing - Lawrence M. Krauss

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

Atheism: The Case Against God - George H. Smith

How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life - Thomas Gilovich
Already on them. Thanks @ahcfan.
Seems like what i have been looking for.
I finished The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski yesterday and started on Blood of Elves. I love the Witcher games and the books are very good so far too.

Reading is the best. You're only hurting yourself if you refuse to read fiction.

As for philosophy, everyone should read the Stoics. Start with Epictetus' Enchiridion, and then either Seneca's essays and letters (On Anger is a good essay; Letters from a Stoic is a collection of letters) or Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. If more people read and applied Stoic philosophy, I believe mental health would be far better. Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy is based upon Stoicism. My favourite philosophers of all are Nietzsche and Stirner. Imagine the combination of Nietzsche, Stirner and the Stoics as a solution that courses through your brain and removes all the various debris.
Last edited on
Thanks for the advises. I will certainly read those books(Although i already read some Nietzsche).

For fiction, no thanks. I dislike them for some reasons.

And everyone should read and try to understand many philosophic books, this way we would have get rid of some nonsense taboos, perceptions and understandings of our society.
Last edited on
Physics of Future & Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku are nice books.

Comet by Carl Sagan

etc.
Michio Kaku, now i am drolling. That man is the pinnacle of science.

I expected less than book forums, on the contrary found more here.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.