Problem?!

Hello, I am 17 and am at college at the moment studying computers. My course involves all types of areas for computers from networking to software programming. My goal is to become a programmer and that is what I have always wanted to do.

Now I started reading a programming book, but I stopped reading it because I just got to busy with work, college and life. I read up to page 99, do you think I needs to start from page 1 or should I continue to read from page 99? This book is like 700 pages, I really do love programming but since I stopped reading this book, i feel i need to start again, but do I start from the beginning or from where I left off on page 99?

I know this question is pathetic right...
Last edited on
You have to do more than just read the book, you need to try the examples and mess with them.
Yeah I did do that, I typed them all in, each one and edited the code to my liking. It is just that I am not sure if I should start from page one again or just start where I last left off. Which was months ago :0
Try to write a few programs and if it doesn't come back to you easily, start over. There's also the tutorial on this site for quick recap.
If you feel as though you understood everything leading up to page 99, then by all means continue, if not then go back.

As LB suggested reading a book is one thing, actually programming and applying what you've learned is another. Try programming and use the principles that you have learned so far to the test. If you forget some syntax concerning the language, go to a reference page to refresh yourself (I believe the site has a tutorial and reference page where you can look some stuff up).
Last edited on
I know I had to go back a few times. It's really annoying but you must be patient with yourself.
Try programming something your self. Set a goal for what you want to program, then figure out what you need to do, and do it. Once you get the hang of it its not that hard. And what language are you learning? Some languages are harder to learn than others. I started out with vbscript, which was very simple.
reading is good as in expanding your mind and introducing you to topics you could not have conceived yourself..

read..then implement.

if you feel like you may have missed something in the text...then go back and read..
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.