Implosion

So, pretty much everyone who was in any sort of staff position for the Bukkit project has just resigned. There are several dozen threads in the Bukkit forums for all of them.

Mojang is too small and Minecraft is too big. The lack of communication between Mojang and the Bukkit team caused the awkward "I'm shutting down Bukkit" "No you're not we own it" moment that set the community on fire. Burning, hot, flaming fire.

Then one of the main contributors issued a DMCA takedown as was his right to do so (still awaiting the correct legal analysis on that) and more fuel was added to the fire.

Despite all the people pouring water on the fire, it just kept spreading as more people added more fuel. Finally, the heat grew so intense that the Bukkit project simply imploded.

Good luck on that 1.8 update, Dinnerbone :p

RIP Bukkit/CraftBukkit
Last edited on
Does not surprise me at all. I've mentioned that this would eventually happen a couple times simply because it's not fair that they have to do ridiculous amounts of work for every minecraft release because they want to obfuscate their shitty Java code.

EDIT: Also, why doesn't Minecraft just release their own API instead of through Bukkit? Perhaps something that doesn't constantly change and is stable.
Last edited on
LB, that's been there for years.
Then why did you even ask?
Because I'm confused as to why it hasn't been finished yet and they continued supposedly support Bukkit.
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/502389963606867968
Mojang has not supported Bukkit because, as they say, they were never asked to.

All the ins and outs of this has been thoroughly overdiscussed and used as fuel for the implosion - just look on the Bukkit forums ;p I merely summarized in my OP.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.