Ubuntu the Spyware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

Richard talks about ubuntu. I use Arch myself and i dont care.

But ubuntu turning into a spyware and changing their policy(while Linux is made for privacy and security reasons), how far this NSA stuff has come. Well not particularly have to be NSA but doesnt matter. Is there no one who cares about our privacy.

Also Ubuntu's website made a policy change recently. I dont know much about cookies and security but it made me even more suspicious.

I cant get an idea what Canonical is up to. Are they get blackmailed too by some intel agency?

I am wondering what you guys thinking.
Last edited on
Use Arch; don't care.

I think anyone really interested in protecting their privacy would research how to protect it and get to know this information.
Let's not forget that RMS is the guy who reads websites by sending a request to a remote server of his own which does a wget and sends to his email the HTML, which he reads with a text editor.
Let's also not forget that he's not talking about some obscure process that sends some bytes to some mysterious server, or some suspicious vulnerability someone found in a key daemon. He's talking about a desktop search functionality that shows ads. While I do agree that this feature should be opt-in, you're most likely already getting data-mined for ad money from search engines. I don't see many people outraged over that, anymore.
Last edited on
You know what they say: "If you want somthing done right, DO IT YOUR SELF."

Eventually, a migration will happen from every distro to Arch Linux after they start breaking people's trust. Nevermind the fact that Linux users are typically more intelligent about these things than the average bear, and the teams behind these distros empliment these policy changes anyway... All it tells me is that eventually, the all-mighty dollar will decide our fates (and not in a good way).

Avarice is a sin for a reason.
the all-mighty dollar will decide our fates

USA Senate just passed a resolution to amend the constitution to get money out of politics. That might help a bit (if it passes the house, and is ratified by the states in a timely matter)
@IWishIKnew
We are not perfect beings and i believe we cant do everything ourselfs. And i dont like the way almighty-dollar decides what happens next.

@maeriden
I dont care at the moment what happened to Ubuntu. But if things get serious i fear it will spread.

@helios
Since it is a feature that can be disabled, people didnt get angry. But what if things starts to get dirty.

@Cheraphy
I am not a US citizen. But US effects every country in the world. So i hope things get better in US.
Last edited on
If it doesn't, I'm leaving the country knowing that nowhere is safe.

To those interested, here's the text of the joint resolution that passed with 70 something votes:

Section 1. To advance democratic self-government and political
equality, and to protect the integrity of government and the electoral
process, Congress and the States may regulate and set reasonable limits
on the raising and spending of money by candidates and others to
influence elections.
``Section 2. Congress and the States shall have power to implement
and enforce this article by appropriate legislation, and may
distinguish between natural persons and corporations or other
artificial entities created by law, including by prohibiting such
entities from spending money to influence elections.
``Section 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant
Congress or the States the power to abridge the freedom of the
press.''.

There's another one not voted on that explicitly revokes citizens united.

Some would argue that this would also take labor unions down a peg. To which I say, good. No special interest group should be able to buy my government.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.