Anyone ever hear of a Middle College?

So last year, I asked my school board if I could skip the grade i am in now (8th grade). They declined, but they sent the president of the board to talk to me. She told me I could go to a thing called "middle college".
Pretty much, during sophomore year I take a test, and if I pass, I am accepted into the middle college. There, I take college courses instead of high school courses (mostly just college-ified high school classes), but there are actual college courses there, like computer science stuff. When you graduate in senior year, you not only get a high school diploma, but they also give you an Associate's Degree.

Anybody ever hear of this? It is brand new in my area, and I am curious about it.
Yeah it is actually quite a common thing in my state for high school students with very good GPA (Honor role level). Here you have the option of attending college courses full time or doing half high school courses at your high school and half college courses at the college. If you attend the full 2 years you graduate with a associates degree for free (The high school pays for it I believe).

I would say it is a amazing opportunity for you if you are interested in it and would definitely do it if you get the opportunity to do so. Who wouldn't want a free associates degree in todays age where semester costs are skyrocketing.
When I was growing up we called these "Advanced Placement" (AP) courses we never had enough courses for 40 credit hours though. I personally didn't qualify for any of them but from what I understand the work load was about the same as the corresponding honors classes.
Yeah after looking around on the website, it seems that all you do is get a certain number of dual enrollment classes plus a little more. And if you say the workload is as much as regular honors stuff, then it is even easier.
Where I live Z e r e o we had to pay for the dual enrollment classes when I was in high school and it was for junior/senior only. Though, I personally can't see someone getting an associates degree and graduating high school at the same time. The course curriculum would have to be nearly identical.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.