Microsoft bought Mojang

Pages: 12
For $2.5 billion.

What do you think this means for the future of Minecraft? Will it continue to be community-driven? I hope so...
Last edited on
For $2.5 billion.

Please, for my sanity, tell me that is in Krona ... That company + it's assets weren't worth half that much, they only had the one notable IP! What, did Microsoft outsource their acquisitions department to EA or something?
I've heard people complain that notch is a sell out. He never expected minecraft to get huge, and he never wanted to run a company as large as mojang has become.
I'm blown away that people have the audacity to complain. They got such a great experience for years and they can't even respect the wishes of the original developer.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
To be fair the original developer (Notch) was a enthusiastic programmer who just wanted to create small-games for fun, on contrary to majority of people who assume he is an very hard-core programmer with knowledge about literally every topic there is to know about programming, with an high-expertise in finances.

As @Cheraphy rightly said, he never expected Minecraft to become an World-Wide success not to mention imagining earning millions per year. Its pretty much an overwhelming event in his life.

Not to mention $2.5bn is equal to $2,500,000,000 which is an huge volume of money to be given for such a game. In all honesty, he would have easily earn't back this sum of money in around 7 - 8 Years time (using 2013 Profit figures.) that is not a long-time especially when dealing with his age being only 35 which will make him a very rich early-middle aged man of 42 - 43.

I'm sure he has enough money already, not to sound simplistic but pretty much even $1 million is enough to live a luxurious lifestyle and with $10 million dollars, you could be practically living a celebrity lifestyle with mansions in Calabasas and talking about $100 millions, you would be able to eat money for breakfast and be able to buy anything in your wildest and dizziest day-dreams.

Now talking about $1 billion, phewww! You would be very very bored with life as we know it in-fact you could buy entire valleys not to mention you have no money problems.

Notch is worth $5.5 Billion which is bordering $10 billion which is very very rich.

That said, he has probably bored with the money - he does not want any more money but rather rest and enjoy so selling the company will ensure he will get his deserved life.

Its really up to him what he wishes to do with the company and its assets.

@OrionMaster May I ask why you use "an" when 90% of the time it should be "a"?

Also,
with $10 million dollars, you could be practically living a celebrity lifestyle with mansions in Calabasas
I could see maybe buying 1 mansion but then you'd pretty much be out of money and wouldn't be able to pay taxes and would probably end up losing the house.

As far as Microsoft buying Minecraft I can't fathom see why they would want it.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
I am pretty sure I used 1 instance of "an" in the entirety of the post. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am not talking about just 1 massive gift of 10 million but rather an steady income flow. To give you a rough estimate Justin Bieber earn around ~50 million which he is living pretty neat lifestyle (excluding his busy schedule) so I am sure life as we know it with that sort of money would be vastly different perhaps even worth dying for.
so I am sure life as we know it with that sort of money would be vastly different perhaps even worth dying for.

Meh. I'd probably give most of it away to friends/family. $2 million is way more than enough to live comfortably for the rest of your life. As long as you don't blow your money on stupid overpriced crap... like multimillion dollar houses.

If I somehow got $10 million ... I don't think my life would change much. I'd move out of my apartment to somewhere slightly nicer, and I'd give enough money to my parents so they could finally retire... and I'd give other immediate family a chunk. Then I'd just do the same stuff I do now -- but without having to worry about income.

EDIT: also... "dying for" a lifestyle is nonsense. You can't live the lifestyle if you're dead.
Last edited on
I am pretty sure I used 1 instance of "an" in the entirety of the post. Please correct me if I am wrong.
an very hard
an high-expertise
an World-Wide
an huge volume
an steady income
I suppose it's just a pet peeve of mine. So you could just ignore it.

I am not talking about just 1 massive gift of 10 million but rather an steady income flow.
You were talking about flat amounts of money so it's hard for me to make the connection you meant annually.
closed account (10X9216C)
If I somehow got $10 million ... I don't think my life would change much ... Then I'd just do the same stuff I do now -- but without having to worry about income.

This. I don't understand some people's urge to just buy the best of everything. I knew someone that won $100k as a result of some lawsuit (don't remember the details). He blew it all on a sports car which he drove around for a bit and inevitably crashed. Wasted all that money for a couple months of driving a fancy car, that money could have covered schooling and living costs for a good while.
I don't understand some people's urge to just buy the best of everything.

People, particularly in America, are materialistic. It's built into our culture.

I understand it, but I think it's stupid. And I'm amazed so many people participate in a culture which generally makes you jealous and miserable.

I knew someone that won $100k as a result of some lawsuit (don't remember the details). He blew it all on a sports car which he drove around for a bit and inevitably crashed.

Yeah, that is stupid. $100k is almost retirement money. You invest that and it's good to live off of in a couple of years.
The novel Brave New World is very relevant, currently. Early in the book you learn that they are being hypnotized to "love new clothes", and in general, want new things to replace old things.

My family's original microwave lasted 20 years. Each one we've had since has lasted 2 years each. Things are built to break.
Last edited on
It's easy to say what you would do with $100,000 when you don't have it; it's harder to actually do what you said you would do when you get it.
closed account (10X9216C)
What difference does $1000 or $100,000 make? If i wouldn't spend $1000 on <insert luxury item> why would i spend $100,000 on <insert more expensive luxury item>. People that are bad with money will be bad with money, the quantity doesn't make a difference.
The whole *company* sold for $2.5 billion, that doesn't mean Nutch got $2.5 billion. Very likely he got only a tiny fraction of it, depending on how many shares he initially owned, and how much they have been diluted in successive rounds of funding. It is not uncommon for company founder to have only 1-10% of shares of the company (and 0.005% - 0.1% for a lead developer / project manager).

Anyways, that's still quite a nice amount of money, probably in tens or hundreds of millions :)
Last edited on
Pretty sure he was majority holder of the company, could be wrong though.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Well microsoft might want the shares in utube, in servers(maybe) and will try to make as much money as they always try to.

And probably a version for windows phone.
Companies don't understand the YouTube community. The most common mistake companies make is claiming YouTube videos that contain their IP. If Microsoft tries to claim Minecraft videos, they will inevitably be forced to double back on their stance and stop claiming videos. It's happened already with Nintendo, twice.

I think we don't have too much to worry about - the Minecraft community is so large that it will survive and even counter most of any BS that Microsoft tries to pull. Microsoft bought a community they can't smother.
chrisname wrote:
It's easy to say what you would do with $100,000 when you don't have it; it's harder to actually do what you said you would do when you get it.

It's only hard if you're materialistic. I've had significant sums of money before (>$20k) and never once felt like I needed to go out and spend it.

In fact... you know what I did with it? I took unpaid leave from my job and lived off it. Doing the same things I always do... but not having to worry about income.

So yeah... it's pretty easy for me to say what I would do with more money. I would just take a longer (permanent) leave from my job. Working is really the only part of my life I'm not happy with. So it's the only thing I'd change. I love everything else about my life.
Last edited on
I've never had more than a few hundred pounds all at once and even when I had that much, I had specific things in mind that I wanted to buy with it (clothes and PC components mainly). If I got $100k right now, I'd like to say I'd invest it wisely, but I just don't know how I'd react in that situation. Ideally I'd buy an apartment, but you just can't get any in the £60,000 price range. The next "big purchase" I'd want would be a car (and driving lessons).
Last edited on
Pages: 12