Why is apple still going?

Pages: 12
Apple sells the ipads for 300-400 dollars, and you can get a Microsoft Surface, with 4 times the storage, more memory, and better speed, for less money. AND apple ipads are made in china, were the average minimum wage is 1500 yuan(244 usd) per MONTH! But don't worry, the kids that assembled your ipad were wearing gloves. The apple factories literally have suicide nets to stop people from killing themselves.
And people still by ipads.

Ipad:http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Retina-display-MD510LL-9-7-Inch/dp/B009W8YQ6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1411428848&sr=1-1&keywords=ipad

Surface: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Rt-64GB-Tablet/dp/B00ET0H9R4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1411428870&sr=1-3&keywords=microsoft+surface

Apple factory tour: http://www.youtube.com/embed/zRBRdatmQhI
Last edited on
Because 'MURICA.
Pretty much.
Apple is still going because it's a status symbol and they are REALLY good at marketing. That's my guess. Oh also because their business model is working, but tautology is for the tautological.
because apple's software is much better. although their quality is definitely decreasing..
They put out new products every 5 minutes, and each what cost 50$ more than the last, even though there pretty much the same thing.
They put out new products every 5 minutes, and each what cost 50$ more than the last, even though there pretty much the same thing.
Doesn't every major corporation?
A lot of them do, but not all. I'm not saying microsofts good, but they take some time before they put out new products.
At first I though you said "kits".
oh, you mean where it said "kids"?
Last edited on
Because the gurus designing the software interface for the things make them a pleasure to use. Because the 'draconian' app store makes it exceedingly difficult to put crap/copyware/spyware on your device. Because it's pretty. Because it's easy to make it do what you want. Because it's plug-n-play without actually having to plug -- things just work together.

No system is perfect. But iOS works pretty well.

Now, if you don't mind, my turtleneck has a wrinkle in it, so I'm off to straighten that out.
Apple has the same advantage over non Apple PCs that Consoles have over PC in regards to games. They control the hardware. They know what their software is running on. They have the luxury of making micro optimizations that every one else could only dream of. That, in part, is why we have consoles still keeping up with PCs 5, 6, 7 years into a generation. Also, in part, why apple computers are buttery smooth and stable.
There are actually adds for swift on this page. I mean the new apple programming language.
Apple has the same advantage over non Apple PCs that Consoles have over PC in regards to games. They control the hardware.

I think that's one of the bad things about apple. There is now a universal charger for phones, except on apple. and iOS only has app support, unlike the microsoft surface.
I agree with Duoas here, particularly on the app store point. Have you seen the state of the Google Play and Windows phone stores? They're awash with trashy knockoffs.

I've had phones based on all three systems in the last 12 months (Nexus 5, Lumia 630, iPhone 5) and the iPhone is simply the easiest to use on a day-to-day basis for me. I agree, the prices are a bit absurd but then it's people prerogative to pay.

As for the slave labour, it seems a little targeted to only pounce on Apple for this. Most big companies outsource their manufacturing to countries where labour is cheap. I'm not say that's right, I'm saying that Apple is doing what most big companies do; it's not like it's their own heinous operation.

Have you seen the state of the Google Play and Windows phone stores? They're awash with trashy knockoffs.

I don't know anything about Windows Phone, but generally releasing official apps to App Store and Google Play at the same time is *standard* these days. Android is already a much bigger market than iOS and Windows Phone, so it would be insane to create iOS-only apps (if you're not Apple, of course).
Last edited on
rapidcoder wrote:
Android is already a much bigger market than iOS

Not in terms of profitability.
Last edited on

Not in terms of profitability.

Profitability is hard to measure. In directly paid app sales, probably you're right, but how do you measure profitability of free apps selling some other service or product? There are plenty of those, and many are high quality apps like Uber, Expedia, etc. In case of those apps, total number of users is the only measure. And here Android shines.
xorebxebx wrote:
it would be insane to create iOS-only apps (if you're not Apple, of course).

Google doesn't seem to mind making cross platform apps, maybe apple should as well :P
rapidcoder wrote:
In case of those apps, total number of users is the only measure. And here Android shines.

That would be operating under the assumption that more people == more revenue and I don't think it's quite as linear as that. I'd still wager that most businesses that offer such apps would opt for iOS over Android in a one-or-the-other choice. That's just my opinion, though.

Anyway, this is somewhat tangential to the original point I was trying to make, which I don't think I made correctly. The point being that the Windows and Google app stores have dozens of knock-off/clone applications - irrespective of whether or not official versions exist - that simply pollute the app store. Apple generally have more hoops to jump through (Draconian or otherwise) in their app submission process that tends to stop as many of these getting through.
Last edited on
Pages: 12