Windows 9 being unveiled on Sept. 30

Pages: 12345
Disch wrote:
And why on Earth would anyone use anything other than VLC for playing anything?

Because VLC's UI is ugly as sin, it's totally unsuitable for playing music if you want such features as playlists, and it doesn't do fullscreen properly. It's worthless for anything other than playing media encoded in formats which whatever other media player you use doesn't support. But the ability to open and decode all formats known to man (and then some) isn't a virtue of VLC but of libavcodec on which it depends, and that ability is shared by all media players which use libav, and most of them have better interfaces than VLC. MPlayer is one example. I would say VLC was good for converting between media (although that's also a feature of libavcodec rather than part of VLC, so VLC effectively just acts as a graphical version of FFmpeg in that context) but the version I have can't even do that, it just crashes.
It is a problem with Windows method of updating. Almost all Microsoft Modern UI applications has this problem.
Well, ok. It is not Windows, it is Microsoft problem which is really noticeable in Windows 8.

As Windows 8 is positioned as "everything you need in everyday life included" and "works out-of-the-box", anything which is going to make life of the non-tech savvy users complicated is an Windows problem.
chrisname wrote:
Because VLC's UI is ugly as sin

Its UI consists of a small series of control buttons for play/stop/prev/next, and position slider, and a menu bar.

While I guess that is sort of ugly... I don't really see how it can be improved without sacrificing simplicity.

it's totally unsuitable for playing music if you want such features as playlists

Agreed. I don't use it for music. I meant to say videos.

and it doesn't do fullscreen properly.

Huh? How so? In fact it gets it right where some other players I've used get it wrong (ie, it keeps aspect ratio when your monitor's size doesn't match the size of the video)
Last edited on
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I press F11, it takes up the whole screen but the controls stay.

And actually the UI is not that ugly any more. It used to be worse, with low-quality icons. If they changed the background colour of the window it would be fine.
closed account (10X9216C)
Yah that is a different full screen, just double click the video viewport and you'll get the full screen you so desire.
Alt+Enter is the global full-screen command.

osht nevermind it doesn't work in VLC. Whoops. Yeah double-click is the way to go.
Last edited on
osht nevermind it doesn't work in VLC. Whoops. Yeah double-click is the way to go.

Ctrl+F is VLC fullscreen.
Spacebar is pause/play.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I press F11, it takes up the whole screen but the controls stay.

In my experience F11 is usually for web browsers. Stop fapping so much; winky face.
Last edited on
VLC was killed by its own cruftiness. Better solutions now exist.
Such as?
Well, I prefer mpv which is a fork of the mplayer.
That said, VLC is not dead by any means. What the actual fudge'ems.
EDIT: And it's still very viable. I use it in conjunction with livestreamer which does better than mpv with rtmp streams.
Last edited on
Such as?

Google it yourself, dude.

(Disclaimer: I am not a fan of VLC.)
Google it yourself, dude.

Huh?

You said there were better programs... I'm just asking for what you think those are.

I could google and find other media players, but how do I know any of them are the ones you are referring to?
MPC is a good one. Most of /co/ swears by it.
VLC is always my go-to video player. Never had a problem with it. I'll probably be using it until it actually is dead(which it currently is not). MPC is OK but it lacks a lot of features.

Oh, and don't like the UI? Here you go:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php
How lucky I am that I completely ditched Windows many years ago in favor of Ubuntu. No problems since then.
I vote for MPC-HC (the one that comes with the K-Lite codec pack).
But, with the wrong filters, sometimes it crashes when skipping through a file.
@EssGeEich:

Sounds like we have different priorities in media players if you are willing to recommend one that crashes. =P
Heh.
Anyways, I don't usually skip videos or songs, I just let them go on on their own, and, the last crash dump I have on my pc is dated a couple of months ago, and is not related to the player itself but to the installed filters.
Last edited on
While we're on the topic of VLC and videos, I will say that for recording games I used to use Fraps, which produced an AVI, and then I would use VLC to transcode it to MP4 for YouTube. But in the last few VLC updates there have been some serious issues with the audio and video desyncing. I found out about Open Broadcaster Software (what a name!) and it allows streaming directly to MP4 with better performance (and more functionality) than Fraps. $40 lasted me only a couple years, but free will last me forever.

Also, back on topic, today is the 30th. What's the Windows 9 news?
It's being called Windows 10
Pages: 12345