Windows 9 being unveiled on Sept. 30

Pages: 12345
I wouldn't recommend putting it over your main install, but dual booting should be fine. I installed over my main but I planned on doing a fresh install soon anyways. Kinda fubared the registry.
Hmm. I guess I am not missing out on much anyway. It is what, pre-alpha? I will wait for the final release.

I must say, I am pretty impressed with Windows 10. As long as it can handle games well - and doesn't just give a middle finger to PC gamers, I am looking forward to it.

Lastly, I heard MS was looking to improve their PC game market. Was this true?
You could install it on a VM. That's what we did at work to try it out.
helios wrote:
You could install it on a VM. That's what we did at work to try it out.

What did you think of it, Helios?

AceDawg45 wrote:
Lastly, I heard MS was looking to improve their PC game market.

I hadn't heard anything but if Valve has their way, PC gaming will soon become a Linux dominated market.
About the last thing Cheraphy said - about Linux taking over...

It's not that I have anything against OpenGL, but I've been learning DirectX, really out of pure laziness. You go to MS's website, install DirectX SDK, and it is setup directly into VS.
With OpenGL, you have to get GLEW to even use OpenGL's newest version. It seems really lazy, but since I spent a lot of time learning Win32 and COM, DirectX is really easy for me.
I will probably learn DirectX, spend some time with it, then move onto OpenGL. That way, I am flexible with my 3D languages :|

And just to defend myself, I did try GLEW, but non of the vertex functions would work... none of them. I searched for about 2 weeks on a fix, and got nothing. So, I did initially try OpenGL, but I gave up out of frustration.
Last edited on
I didn't get a very thorough look at it, but:
* I really liked the virtual desktops feature. About damn time, I might add. For me, this alone makes an update worthwhile.
* I don't care much aesthetically for how they integrated Metro applications to the desktop. They put them inside a standard window frame. I think a borderless window with automatically hiding standard window buttons would work a lot better. Maybe they'll change that later.
* The new start menu can work, depending on how much you can shrink that godawful Metro stuff. Personally, I'd like to shrink it just enough to fit the weather widget.
I'm not a fan of unifying the different platforms (PCs, tablets, phones) because I want to use each kind for completely different and unrelated purposes. I don't want a pocket PC or a desktop phone. Tablets for me are in the realm of "why aren't these laptops".

++1 That is exactly the way I look at it.
admkrk wrote:
++1

You can't increment a numerical constant, bro. :P
@AceDawg: Vertex functions have been deprecated since gl 3.
Everything has moved to the programmable pipeline.
I have a feeling that you didn't call "glewInit."
.... What?

Wow. I spent 2 and a half weeks trying to fix one thing, and that thing wasn't even supposed to work in the first place... I feel like I just took a big blow to the head....

Welp, I guess when I move on the OpenGL I know what to do...

The biggest problem with Windows 8 to me is that a lot of the apps supplied by MS didn't even open half the time. Like, Mail would work only half the time for me, and I used that app a lot. Anybody else experience that problem?
Not I, AceDawg. Not since the tech preview of 8.
I'll be honest... loading GL function pointers is a real pain.

For one, you should generally use the layer for the Windowing System to grab function pointers. This solves various potential problems (none of which would currently happen on any system except for Windows). GLEW helps with this but it's actually a broken piece of software.

For one, GLXEW is garbage. I don't mean it sucks, I mean it's literally unusable.
http://sourceforge.net/p/glew/bugs/240/

It still does not fetch extension strings correctly... after 3 frickin' years man...
http://sourceforge.net/p/glew/bugs/174/?page=2

And there's also some confusions like the use of glewExperimental, which should *never* be used except it's used all the time. It breaks software constantly actually.

So, alternatives? glLoadGen, GLAD, or just load each function you need individually using something like SDL. glLoadGen doesn't work well for a few fundamental reasons... I actually wrote a bug report and made several patches... even maintained a fork for awhile. It's not fixable.

GLAD is better and uses python. Still ugly as dirt, doesn't actually parse the XML as cleanly as it should and the header generation is just chopping strings together which often creates bugs. It's usable but it could be better.

In other words, I don't like any function loader for OpenGL right now. The project I studied the various layers (GLX/WGL/CGL(and cocoa)) for uses GLAD... but we went from GLEW, to hand written, to glLoadGen, to GLAD. They all suck and after over a decade of loaders, they should really be better written.

/me going about his day ignoring that he's hypocritical for not writing that software himself.
closed account (10X9216C)
@NoXzema
What are you doing with OpenGL, if i may ask.
Herm... for my purposes, it was simply to create a context in a cross-platform manner... one of the most painful things I think I've ever done.

EDIT: Although, I also handled function loading and extension checking.
Last edited on
Would anyone like to take a crack ( no pun intended ) as to how long it will take for it to be, well, cracked...?
If it's anything like Win8 I believe it has to be "legit" activated to be truly unlocked. So-called cracks will just mess with system files(and do god knows what to them) to remove the "Activate Windows" warning.
Last edited on
Actually, Windows 8 activators install a small server emulator to make the system think it's talking to the activation servers.
Ah well it used to be that you had to activate through Microsoft or third-party servers.
Pages: 12345