Confused!

Hi,
I am fairly new to c++. I have been 'trying' to learn c++ for quite some time now. I am using C++ primer plus to learn. Unfortunately, I get stuck with the problems (I'm on the 6th chapter! There are 17). I'm on the verge of giving up.
Sometimes, I just don't seem to get it or i get it but I can't implement it.
I asked a few people what i should be doing. Some said that I should try an easier language like Javascript instead. Some said that I should just stick to c++, and I'll figure it out eventually. I don't know what to believe, so I decided to post this.
I need good advice. I'm not moving forward in c++. I have tried a few books before this as well, and had given up. I read reviews on amazon regarding this book, and bought it.
I really want to learn, but I'm afraid that I might just give up. Sometimes, I feel that I'm just blaming the book, learning can be done with any book right?

jub4jive wrote:
I am using C++ primer plus to learn.
You have fallen into a trap. Just as there are good books, there are bad books. "C++ Primer" is a good book, whereas "C++ Primer Plus" is by a different author and has received poor reviews (e.g. http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookreviews&func=search&rid=1744 ).

Here is a list of great C++ books:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/388282/1959975
C++ was my first language I learned, and is the one I use most of the time for personal projects. Learning other languages have been fairly trivial after learning C++.

If books aren't working for you (you do have a bad book, as LB said), then forget them for now. Just start writing something that sounds interesting to you, researching what you need as you go. This process will be much more rewarding and the things you learn will stick more than just reading through a book.
Thanks for the reply. I also have the c++ primer book. I was hoping to get started on it after C++ primer plus.
In the preface of c++ primer, the authors "assume you know enough about programming to write, compile, and run a program in at least one modern block-structured language. In particular, we assume you have used variables, written and called functions, and used a compiler."

Since I didn't have any experience with 'one modern block-structured language' and I haven't 'written and called functions', I thought it would be better to start of with c++ primer plus.
Should I switch to c++ primer ?(i've done 6/17 of the chapters in c++ primer plus. But, honestly I got stuck a lot of times!)

Moreover, will I be able to handle c++ primer, since it requires a little 'prior' knowledge; that I don't have right now?
It depends on the time and effort you're willing to devote to learning C++. I am highly passionate and spend a lot of time and effort on C++, and I have never purchased any books on programming. Everything I know is from online resources.

I would recommend switching to C++ Primer since you already have it and don't need to pay for another book. Anything that you feel is above your level can be searched for on Google or asked about on these forums - we are very supportive of learning. You will quickly learn that most simple questions are answered already on StackOverflow.

The most important thing to do is to try to write code that you want to write (and also mess around with the example code). The fastest way to learn is to write lots of throwaway programs.

Keep in mind that the console is just a way for you to give input to your program and see output - don't try to do complex things with the console, as it won't carry over to practical programs.
Last edited on
Thanks again,
I think I'll switch to C++ Primer.
@ResidentBiscuit - I don't think I will be able to start writing something that sounds interesting, since I barely know enough about the language.
I guess the better option is try out c++ primer, hopefully I can get started (without the stuff they have mentioned). I let you know how it goes, but I do feel disheartened giving up again on another c++ book.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.