Whats the point of social networking?

Pages: 123
fabtasticwill wrote:
That is exactly my point. Does anyone enjoy looking at selfies? Honestly.
fabtasticwill wrote:
When your at dinner, and people are sitting on there phones instead of talking to each other.
These are two completely different arguments.
Yes, those are two different arguments, but both are true and reasonable.
I have no opinion on your second argument (phone at table), but I am trying to get you to clarify your first argument (selfies). How exactly are selfies affecting your life? Did a selfie run over your pet and you now have an irrational grudge against all selfies?
LB wrote:
I don't really have much to say except to share the occasional video, article, or other link. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, but I do use Google+ to share pictures and links with my family. We have phones and email for text.

Social networking is like being in a room with everyone shouting at the top of their lungs at each other. Maybe you'll overhear someone you knew in high school. But is that important to you? Why does everyone in the room need to know what you're eating for dinner?
I don't understand the point you're trying to make by quoting my post. As I already said, neither of the questions in my post are rhetorical - they both may be answered in any way you please. For some people, the answers are "Yes" and "Because why not". For me, my answers are different.
Last edited on
The point I was trying to make by quoting your post, is who cares? Honestly, I don't care where you are or what your eating, or what you look like.
My point is, why do you want to complain if you don't care? If, you actually didn't care, you wouldn't have made this thread. Something about what other people do is affecting you simply because you know they're doing it.

How do you know there are not alien beings in a galaxy far, far away doing things that you do not approve of? Does it matter if they're on the same planet as you? How does it affect you either way?
Last edited on
What I was saying is that people having there phones out and ignoring real life is not only irritating, but also dangerous. Hundreds of people die each year where people are checking facebook or twitter while driving. Do deaths not affect you?
Again:
LB wrote:
These are two completely different arguments.
Last edited on
Also again:
fabtasticwill wrote:
Yes, those are two different arguments, but both are true and reasonable.
I guess you do not want to further the selfies argument. I have no opinion on the phone-as-a-distraction argument.
Phone != facebook
I feel like this is a troll post...
Eehhh... I'll jump in here, why not.

I must agree with fabtasticwill's argument.

To me, it is really just one of those pet peeves that you cannot stand for the life of you. Sitting in class, having to listen to people brag about the amount of people follow them on Instagram - more than half of which they don't know - and then people actually applaud them. It just seems like my generation will be a bunch of pathetic idiots... Of course, this is just my school. I don't know how it is other wheres.

About the selfies thing, I truly do not care. When I see a selfie on Facebook - the only Social network I have - I just continue scrolling down. The only thought that goes through my head is a really brief "hmm... Those duck lips are peculiar". Then, I see the next mundane post.

I couldn't agree more with the statement about people on their phones. It is just so shitty of someone to do that. Here you are, having an interesting conversation, when they gradually look down at their phone and begin ignoring you mid sentence. Ugh. Then again, like what someone said before, this is a phone issue less of a social network one. Then again again, most of the time it is Instagram.
If I am hanging out with someone and get a text, depending on it's importance I'll answer it. I usually always take phone calls unless the caller ID is just someone I hate. Never have I gotten on my phone and used the only app on it (which would be "reddit", but that isn't a social network) in the middle of someone's sentence.
Okay, about duck faces...
I know what a duck-face looks like.
I swear, it was last week, I took a deeper look at a girl with a duck face... and I realize she was sending a kiss towards the camera!
I know this is SOOO obvious, maybe I'm too used to that term, and the kiss was just "overridden" by the fact that she really had a duck face, so I never thought "she's kissing", but "she's got a duck face".

Oh god I felt so stupid afterwards
AceDawg45 wrote:
I must agree with fabtasticwill's argument.

I have yet to see any argument. Mostly I see whining, poor writing style/grammar/vocabulary, self-centered opinions and a mostly absent logical skill set.

If it isn't a troll, I pity the OP.
What I was saying is that people having there phones out and ignoring real life is not only irritating, but also dangerous. Hundreds of people die each year where people are checking facebook or twitter while driving. Do deaths not affect you?

More people are injured or die as a result of people in the middle of a phone call while driving. Sadly, that statistic tends to be bundled in with "cell phone use" along with all of the others, but it is quite significant nonetheless. Hell, with the advent of "hands-free" calling, people tend to do it more without realizing that the harm in talking while driving is the conversation, not the use of a hand to hold the cell phone up to your ear.

Also, stop changing your argument every single time someone turns it against you.
I fear facebook for only one reason.
-> Suppose I went to a place with a 'facebook' friend and I do not want to reveal this place to my other long list of 'facebook' friends for reasons as simple as privacy.
-> However, the friend clicks my snap and posts it on facebook and tags me.
-> The whole world then knows!
-> Suppose I went to a place with a 'facebook' friend and I do not want to reveal this place to my other long list of 'facebook' friends for reasons as simple as privacy.

What kind of world do you live in where you don't want people to know who you're hanging out with?

Are you ashamed of your friends or something?

Anyway... it sounds like your problem is more with your friend taking pictures of you and less with social media. If you're in such a situation, just tell your friend not to snap a picture of you.
Last edited on
Nope I'm not ashamed of my friends.

I know it sounds weird but it is just that I don't like the world to know about every little thing I am doing or not doing.

just tell your friend not to snap a picture of you.

Yes that is a solution but unfortunately I can't keep stopping everyone every time.

I don't know whether I am able to explain clearly:
For example, I feel for everyone, there is friends circle with whom you are very close, then comes a circle of 'good' friends, then 'formal acquaintances' and so on. I don't want the outer-most circle friends to know what I am doing with my inner-most circle friends.

For facebook AFAIK, there is no such thing as a 'close friend'. A friend is a friend.
Last edited on
Pages: 123