Whats the point of social networking?

Pages: 123
Well, the issue with Facebook is that you are signing a disclaimer at the beginning which allows them full sight of all of your personal details posted on the site. That's part of the terms of use. I'm sure you can always petition for some sort of modified account or try and negotiate the terms. Just don't expect it to be easy.

Also, Google does have an opt-out. In fact, most analytic companies have opt-outs.
the concept of social networking is making money (and information) by the one who owns it :P
Actually, facebook DOES have the concept of close friends.
If you want more customization, you can make friends lists.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83943521/Screens/f/closefriends.png
Excuse the localization - "Amici piĆ¹ stretti" actually means "Close friends", and I actually use it, and are the only ones who can see e.g. my Phone Nr., an EMail address...

EDIT: And this is how simple it is to set that option up:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83943521/Screens/f/cf_phone.png

EDIT: Also, your friends don't know they're on a list of yours, so this won't bother them.
Last edited on
tsundere, eh? I always had a thing for that archetype in anime
Facebook also has a way to control how tagged photos of you are visible to others. If you don't want them to show up on people's feeds, all you have to do is tweak a setting.

I know it sounds weird but it is just that I don't like the world to know about every little thing I am doing or not doing.

Again, that's really a problem with your friends and not with Facebook.

Make it clear to your friends that you don't want your picture taken. Just explain it to them how you've explained it to us in this thread. Unless they are shitty people, they'll stop. It won't even be a big deal.
Last edited on
When I was talking about phones, I meant when people are checking facebook and twitter.
Last edited on
Well, an up side to social media is how I can Google my name and I come up! :D

And when I said I agree with his argument, I worded that a little wrong. I meant side.
@AceDawg45 - some people would also call that a downside, especially if you post stupid things about yourself on social media. Especially if your 'social' self isn't the same as your real self, because employers can do a background check on you on your social media, that may influence their decision to employ you, regardless of how perfect you actually are.

That's the thing about this 'social media' topic - there are good sides and bad sides to everything, so ultimately whether or not it is a good thing comes down to how you use it.
Last edited on
Haha yeah I know it was a joke. As a kid (4 years ago when I first got on Facebook) I absolutely loved the fact that my name came up after a google.

I would say social media - the fact of connecting with others, while not with them, is a cool idea. But, the way people use it - tuning people out with it, posting lies about others, making it a competition on how many random strangers accidentally clicked "follow" on your profile.. those are the bad parts.

Last edited on
AceDawg45 wrote:
tuning people out with it, posting lies about others, making it a competition on how many random strangers accidentally clicked "follow" on your profile.. those are the bad parts.
These are very adolescent things to care about. Also, people have spread rumors far before social media.
Yeah, good point. But now they can do it even easier and get it out to more people faster.
So too can the rumored person defend themselves faster and to more people.
Hmm. I didn't think about that.

What if the rumor got spread out so far that no one believed him and made the tormenting worse?
I am sort of creeped out about facebook. Its purpose is to spy on you and use your information to exploit you.

anyone heard of ello yet? Its a new popular add free social network.
Last edited on
htirwin wrote:
I am sort of creeped out about [insert company name here]. Its purpose is to spy on you and use your information to exploit you.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123