License plate scanners

Pages: 12
Has anybody seen this? http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/17/license-plate-scanners-aclu-privacy/2524939/ .
I personally think its kind of scary, not what there doing, but how it could be used. In addition, if those where put on normal cameras, it could end up being used to know where you are every second of the day. Just think about that, it's like having eyes watching your every move.
If you go out in public, you already have eyes watching your every move.
Its not just this, but other things, like google selling your search history and things like that. It's not that i've got anything to hide, but what I do should be private.
Saying what there doing it doesn't justify what there doing. If I confess to murder, i'm still guilty.
Confessing to murder is not the same thing as telling you what you already agreed to. You agreed to the terms and conditions, so you have no right to complain when they are not violated.
I agree, but google is pretty much a monopoly, so there's not much of a choice.
You already made the choice. You can change the choice by closing your account and never using a Google product again.

Whether Google is a monopoly is debatable. Yahoo, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. all offer similar services to different extents.

You are complaining that only one provider has a closest match to what you want; have you not considered that there could just as well be no match for what you want? Many thousands of people spent years of their lives making a product for you, and you're unhappy because they were the only ones that did it?
Now that I think about it, google is free but what about the people that don't have google accounts, and just use the search engine? They didn't agree to a terms of service.
I never agreed to anything or signed anything when I was born. Yet I am forced to abide by laws that change depending on my physical location. You are approaching the borderline between accepting law and rejecting it. Make up your mind.

If you want to get highly technical, most websites (including Google and cplusplus.com) might be illegal anyway, because of the highly ambiguous laws that were written decades ago. Lines have to be drawn somewhere. Grey areas will always exist.
Last edited on
But google isn't the only thing i'm talking about. I'm talking generally about all the things that should be private, but aren't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act#Title_V:_Removing_obstacles_to_investigating_terrorism
Is this discussion about terms of service and privacy policies or philosophy and government? Make up your mind.
It's about violations of privacy.
Violations of privacy do happen. But I don't think cameras and license plate scanners are any more a violation of privacy than eyeballs are.
What I was saying is that it could turn into another violation of privacy, but is not one now.
I will be sure to close my eyes and cover my ears whenever you come to town. I wouldn't want to violate your privacy as you drive through public. Oops, I think I saw the color of your car in a reflection.
What i'm saying is that it could turn into a problem but isn't one now.
fabtasticwill wrote:
What I was saying is that it could turn into another violation of privacy, but is not one now.
fabtasticwill wrote:
Has anybody seen this? http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/17/license-plate-scanners-aclu-privacy/2524939/ .
I personally think its kind of scary, not what there doing, but how it could be used. In addition, if those where put on normal cameras, it could end up being used to know where you are every second of the day. Just think about that, it's like having eyes watching your every move.
When you're in public, there is always at least one person who knows where you are at each moment in time. Does it matter whether that knowledge is spread across a hundred minds or one?
Last edited on
Lets say you've got a stalker. Those hundred minds could be anyone.
This is getting off topic. What I meant was generally private things should be kept more private.
Pages: 12