Thanks a lot Microsoft!

Want to buy an Xbone for triple its price in the US where it was officially released an entire year late? Well, just hop on a plane and come over, where Microsoft Argentina has got your back.
Take the smaller GDP into account, and it's no wonder console gaming is virtually dead.

I don't particularly care, as I'm perfectly happy gaming on my desktop, but the frankly absurd price tag coupled with the extremely late release date still feels like a giant middle finger. Is it any wonder console gaming is virtually dead and piracy is the norm?
I never owned xbox, so I have to ask: are they region locked?
Because if not, I do not see why anybody wanting one would not just buy it somewhere with decent prices. I doubt that cost of international shipping would make it not profitable.
The thing that I've noticed with international shipping for games and other things from America to where I live is that it is inordinately more expensive than you would expect, to force you to buy it from a local store. For example, I might find it for $40 less in the US, but have to pay $60 for shipping...
but have to pay $60 for shipping...
Is it your country taxes or company you buying from just have insane costs fo shipping? If latter, resellers could help here.
Shoot. I wrote "virtually dead" twice.

There are no decent prices as far as electronics is concerned, unless you have someone you know smuggle something in for you, which is what we did at work for the 512 GB RAM server.
We're lucky if the price is less than the international price +100%, which is why lately I've been looking at the Shield, which is only 50% more expensive. It's actually cheaper than the Vita.
I was looking a while ago when the iPhone 5 came out it was ~£450 and ~$400...
If you converted USD to GBP at the time it would be about £280, however I think the phones are locked to American networks that we don't have so they'd be pretty useless.

I've bought online services though that are provided by American companies and I look at the price and think "hmm, not bad" and then because I'm paying from UK it adds on any UK taxes (which aren't often included in US prices due to different state tax) and then it bumps it up by 20%, sometimes more depending on the product/service
Last edited on
I think the phones are locked to American networks that we don't have so they'd be pretty useless.
A couple of my coworkers used them here, so I doubt that's true.

I've bought online services though that are provided by American companies and I look at the price and think "hmm, not bad" and then because I'm paying from UK it adds on any UK taxes (which aren't often included in US prices due to different state tax) and then it bumps it up by %20, sometimes more depending on the product/service
That's interesting, because our import tax is even higher, but electronic purchases are not taxed, even if payed with a credit card.
helios wrote:
Xbone

Thats a good word for it.
Speaking of thanks a lot Microsoft, I'm currently programming some software in Visual Studio 12, using Visual Basic .NET 4.0 and I'm very new to VB.NET and the .NET framework in general, so basically I'd setup this program in a certain way that worked perfectly fine but I didn't like the actual structure of the program and it was also not very easy to add/remove bits when needed, as well as being a little heavy on the RAM when it didn't need to be.

So I learned a better way of doing it using forms to replace these panels that I had, and I wanted to create a base class that simply inherited Windows.Forms.Form and had a couple extra functions so that I can use the benefits of polymorphism calling from the main form to its children forms, that were actually this base class. However the IDE didn't like that very much, the compiler was happy and said it was programatically correct but I couldn't edit my subclass forms in the designer.

On a new project though it's perfectly fine... Okay I know that writing a compiler or an IDE at that case is probably one of the more complicated things possible but c'mon MS, how many years have you been going and how many versions have you been through and still can't tell is something is or isn't right?

Long story short I basically wasted a lot of time and still have to re-write most of the program interpretting it into the new style, on a new project. (And somehow I'm being paid to be a noob XD )
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.