Anyone With Eye Sight Problems ?

I would like to make this post to ask the community if any of you programmer got existing or previous eye sight problems

Personally i got cataracts a clouding behind the lens of the eye and it usually happens to people who are really old(50+) Nut i have them at a very young age i am 13(Extremely rare eye sight problem for a child) It always lets me down every times i programme thinking my eye sight is so bad that i wont amount to anything in life(i would like to pursue a career in computer science)

Also its really annoying when im in hospital to check the growth of my cataracts and they dilate my pupil(Make it bigger with drops) And blurs my vision for two days

All replies are welcome even if you don't have any Eye sight conditions or have a story about a friend with something similar :)
That really sucks. I hope that you manage to get surgery soon.

As for me, for most of my life I had rather severe myopia and some mild astigmatism. I did eventually get Lasik, though. Worth every penny, even if due to my permanently enlarged pupils I now get lens flares at night.

-Albatross
From what I've heard, there's a greater tendency of having eyesight problems esp. working very late at night, for very long periods, in front of the computer using the "CRT" technology(it emits more radiation). But i think that's out of stock nowadays. heh
I have astigmatism in one of my eyes. I used to be far-sighted when I was young (the ground was blurry but the distant trees were clear) but since 5-6th grade I am now near-sighted and wear glasses.
My english knowledge doesn't go that far, so I'll use simple terms.
I should be wearing glasses, my right eye sees blurry (mid-far ranges) and I get headaches driving at night.
I do believe this is common since I spend a lot of time on PC.
I've been fortunate never to need glasses, but after years of abuse my eyes are starting to fail me.

Regarding:
It always lets me down every times i programme thinking my eye sight is so bad that i wont amount to anything in life(i would like to pursue a career in computer science)

Intelligence. Humility. Kindness. If you can maintain those 3 qualities, then you can achieve whatever goals you choose to set yourself in life. With a disability, maybe you will need more help from those around you, maybe it won't be easy, but keep acting intelligently, stay humble, and be kind - eventually you will get to where you want to be.

P.S. Have you ever considered how a visually impaired person can use the internet? ( http://www.id-book.com/preece/whatisitlike.html ). If you want to be a scientist or engineer of any kind, then you have to love problems. And there is no-one better qualified to solve a problem than the person who is experiencing it.
closed account (13bSLyTq)
I used to get styes and Chalazion (Meibomian Cyst) due to Dry Eyes condition as a result of my excessive time-spent programming, because I enjoyed it and was good at it (not trying to show off) . It wasn't really that serious complication but still my eyes sometimes swelled up very very slightly (barley noticable) but of course I noticed it so it seem much worse then reality.

The problem that actually caused this problem was the brightness of the PC I was working on, however it was NOT a CRT based computer. I therefore managed to read few articles on avoidin Eye strain and such as actually adpated few of the technqiues to my PC and to be honest ever since then I never had any symptoms of Dry Eyes again & took a slight break every 2 hours for 5 - 10 minutes.

I reckon you may just need to read up on material for eye symptoms on computers.

Last edited on
Only eye sight problems I have are since I am male and my father is color blind I am color blind (red-green -- Deuteranopia).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.